helping parents get greencard

OMFSmolar

Registered Users (C)
Dear Immigration Portal forum,

You guys are a wonderful community with very helpful advice and discussions.

I have a question that would really appreciate your help on.

I am a US citizen. My wife has a US greencard (I think its a temporary 2 year greencard). She obtained it through marriage with me and received the greencard in April 2012.

Currently we are trying to help her parents immigrate to the US from China.

What is the best way to sponsor/help her parents get their green cards?
What applications do we fill out?
Does my wife need to be a US citizen first before she sponsors her parents to get a green card?

Thank you very much for your help and responses.

Your wife needs to be a US Citizen before she can sponsor her parents. The law doesn't allow GC holders to sponsor their parents. Also, no one can sponsor in-laws.

U.S. Citizens are eligible to sponsor spouse, children under 21 year, married children, siblings, or parents. Permanent Residents can sponsor spouse and unmarried children of any age. Visa numbers for the parents, spouses, and unmarried children under 21 are immediately available. All other relatives must wait for a US immigrant visa number. The waiting period varies with family relationship.
The US relative must prove that they can support the applicant by proving that his income is at least 125% above the U.S. poverty level for their household size, including the applicant and his family members and they should need US Visa.