Help with license issue in NJ

laxdef14

Registered Users (C)
Hi everyone, i'm bit confused with my situation at this point. I came to America at the age of 5 and im about to turn 17 this november. my friends are off driving and getting their permits, while i sit here wondering why im not doing the same. my parents brought me here on a travel visa and because of the great education provided in America we decided to stay. i do not have a SSN and my Hong Kong passport is expired. i've researched so much laws that can help me but im at a dead end. is there any way i can get a permit in NJ or am i just bound to not be able to drive as long as i am here. im a junior this fall in HS and it sucks to see all my friends having cars and having the time of their lives. thanks, and i hope someone can help me out.

unfortuntly i can only provide my student ID and transcripts. i can renew my passport but my I-94 is expired for a long period of time now. i do not have a SSN which the DMV is required to see, so i dont know what to do. i have my birth certificate but i was born in Hong Kong so the DMV doesnt want it because it still doesnt prove i'm an American citizen.

I don't want to scare you.

I hate to say it but you are an illegal immigrant. No SSN and immigration status mean no identity. In the eyes of the immigration laws, you shouldn’t exist.

I doubt that your parents have legal status. Without SSN, it’s almost impossible to find a job because of tax and insurance issues. Unable to obtain a driver’s license is one of the disadvantages of being an illegal immigrant. There are tons of disadvantages that you have not discovered yet.

You are only 17. It’s time to talk to your parents about your future. Good luck.

Yes you really need to have a real chat with your parents since you are a young guy and want to get your doc and live a normall life and not have to worry about this all the time .

Good luck and hope something works out for you soon.

Ash

If I were you I would risk to go back to Hong Kong, went to some agency and come back to America by Work&Travel program and you would get SSN number and then switch to Student Visa and stay legal in the USA.

There is one moment ... One thing I don`t get ... you are studying without having documents??? It`s possible? How`s that?

It is possible hardly any schools ask for ss, I am not sure of it but I know most schools dont ask. Kid I am in the same position you are in. I am 23 and you my friend is 17 you have a long way to go. As we speak I am trying to find ways but i always hit road blocks. I am one year of finishing college. I am in dying need to get a dl because I want to transfer, but there is hope, trust me there is.

There is still hope, I was like you once, I missed out on seeing my friends having cars, where I oueither road shotgun or in the back seat you know. But I look back and I like it that way. Most of them dropped out of school, drug addicts, etc. just keep you head up and school with most likely be your savior, by then when you ou'll be driving. so sta.y up

Last edited by a moderator:
I think not having a drivers license and buying a car to drive around with your friends is your smallest problem.

You should hire an immigration attorney like yesterday!!

The government does not care if you speak english without an accent, under their eyes your are an illegal alien thus subject to deportation. With your status you have 0 legal ground to stand on.

There is one moment ... One thing I don`t get ... you are studying without having documents??? It`s possible? How`s that?

Yes you can study without documents. I have never been asked for anything in Community College and University even though I am legal.