Help with EB1-EA RFE: how are you more extraordinary than letter writters

mrm-efileEA

Registered Users (C)
Dear all:

Some progress with my EB1-EA@TSC application: got an RFE. Please help with this question:

"You have submitted several letters of recommendations from your peers who
seem to have more knowledge and experience in your field. Please explain
in detail what sets you apart from these other individuals and makes you
more extraordinary than these other individuals."

I had submitted 8 letters from prominent people whose's CV were 30-35 pages long, some had only 15 pages long. I am not sure if sending more letters with shorter CVs would help.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks a lot.

Mano

Send more letters - include only first 5 pages of CV. It is an unfortunate question to deal with, but every once in a while someone gets it. There is no real justification.

Also, please include your filing details in your signature.

This is a tough one. Depending on how narrow your field of expertise is, you can always say that you have more publications or expertise in that very narrow field than those recommenders. As I said, this is a tough one.

I agree with all others - this is a tough one.

Can you tell us a little about the persons who wrote the letters. I imagine that the ones with long CVs would be senior Professors etc...but you also mentioned there were a few with shorter CVs....can you please let us know about the background of those ....are they not 'VERY' senior compared to you......are they Assistant/Associate Professor etc...

If they all very senior ... you need to build a case that they are at the very top of the field (top 1 % etc) and that's why they were requested to write a testimonial for you. Then you need to focus on your narrow area of specialization and tell USCIS how you are among the best in your expertise. You can build your case by saying that the people who wrote for you are among the top in thier field but you are the best in your niche !! and, based on your credentials and the independent judgement of these accomplished scientists, you are definitely among the top few when compared to your peers.

I am sure you will be able to tackle this. The key is - relax, sit back, think and then do your best.

Also, I have designed my response assuming that you are into research (like me). If not, you still get an idea and you better know what would be considered an 'achievement' in your area of expertise. You can easily build and argue your case around those points and replace the technical words/phrases that I have used with the ones that will be more suitable to your field.

All the best.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks

Dear All:

Thanks for your suggestions. Based on it, I will write that it is difficult to compare two or more extraordinary people unless they are exactly in the same field/topic. Then I can highlight how my accomplishments, e.g., best-paper prize for an article in an international journal of IFAC, are equal or better than theirs when they were at a similar stage of their career. However, I am afraid to mention about the bright potential for future because the creteria specifically requires (already acheived and) sustained international acclaim.

Thanks a lot.

Dear All:

Thanks for your suggestions. Based on it, I will write that it is difficult to compare two or more extraordinary people unless they are exactly in the same field/topic. Then I can highlight how my accomplishments, e.g., best-paper prize for an article in an international journal of IFAC, are equal or better than theirs when they were at a similar stage of their career.

Good.

However, I am afraid to mention about the bright potential for future because the creteria specifically requires (already acheived and) sustained international acclaim.

ABSOLUTELY RIGHT - never say you have teh potential or say they are in top1% and took 20 years - this category is to show that you actually are one of them. Talk about narrow field and make them say how good you are and HOW YOUR WORK is critical to the advancement of the field.

Dear all:

Some progress with my EB1-EA@TSC application: got an RFE. Please help with this question:

I had submitted 8 letters from prominent people whose's CV were 30-35 pages long, some had only 15 pages long. I am not sure if sending more letters with shorter CVs would help.

Mano

letter writers attest that your specific research contribution is very significant,

their CV should not eclipse your and should be 1-2 pages long bioskech

I don't think it is the problem of long or short CV. The problem is that you submitted letters from your peers. I thought it was an unwritten rule that NEVER submit supporting letters from your PEERS, the supporting letters should be from SENIOR persons ranking Professor/Director/Dean etc.

If you use letters from your peers, you get yourself trouble regardless long or short CVs from your peers. You gave yourself a hard question to answer: if you say your peers are not so excellent, their letters are worthless; if you say your peers are excellent, then where are you?

My letters were all from senior professors with some 20 or 30 years in the field on the position. Some of my references' CVs are 20 pages long. I didn't get the RFE question like yours.

I suggest you submit more independent senior references, to emphasize your significant contribution, to set you apart from your peers. The statements coming from the senior references (not you, not your peers) weigh much in the officer's eyes.

Dear all:

Mano

All but one letter was from very senior professors

Dear llp1:

As you suggested (thank you), all letters except one were from very senior profs, one director and two royal chairs. Anyways, today I sent the response to RFE. Let's see what happens.

EB1A@TSC Approved after RFE

Dear All,

Thanks for all your help. It got approved after responding to RFE. I reasoned that while letterwriters have 100s of papers because they have worked in many fields, I have worked in one field so deep that I at the top in that field. Also provided criteria for best paper award (once in three yrs) for an international journal.

I realized that presentation matters a lot; highlighting and underlining the important stuff in the cover letter that you think the examiner should not miss. Further, to cite the C.F.R. section for the criteria, do not forget to state 203(b)(1)(A)(i-iii). 8 C.F.R., Section 204.5 (h) (3) lists the criteria required to satisfy 203(b)(1)(A)(i) but explicit mention of 203(b)(1)(A)(i-iii) seems important.

congrats!

congratulations on your approval.
- when you responded to your EB1A RFE, did you only explain nicely or did you also submit any additional documents/reference letters? Also, did you file the petition and RFE yourself or using an attorney
- for your EB1-B, did you submit essentially the same reference letters?
thanks.

Dear shankyyy:

Thanks. I did everything myself. For the EB-1A RFE, I sent most of the same stuff as I felt as if they had not read it, but I also submitted one more letter and criteria-letter for one award. For EB-1B, I submitted almost same material, including letters, some writters were different. If same, their letters were slightly different for the two cases, e.g. slightly stronger words (e.g. extraordinary as opposed to outstanding, etc).

following should help your petition

1. suggest your recommender to emphasize on how unique you and your research is.....

2. highlight in your cover letter how your CV is differemt that those recommeder as you might just stand unique with these efforts.

3. usually more experinced person must have had similar experience based on old technology...explain how you have better grip over new technology.

4.at the end of the day its all about being 1-2 % in that area.....narrow it down.

need your help

Dear All,

Thanks for all your help. It got approved after responding to RFE. I reasoned that while letterwriters have 100s of papers because they have worked in many fields, I have worked in one field so deep that I at the top in that field. Also provided criteria for best paper award (once in three yrs) for an international journal.

I realized that presentation matters a lot; highlighting and underlining the important stuff in the cover letter that you think the examiner should not miss. Further, to cite the C.F.R. section for the criteria, do not forget to state 203(b)(1)(A)(i-iii). 8 C.F.R., Section 204.5 (h) (3) lists the criteria required to satisfy 203(b)(1)(A)(i) but explicit mention of 203(b)(1)(A)(i-iii) seems important.

Congratulations for approval of your green card (I 140). Presently I am also planning to apply for I 140 by my self. Please could you tell me the petition letter is obligatory?? could you also provide me your email. My address is kmbpharma@gmail.com