Help w/ N-400 for child studying in Canada

gwickes

Registered Users (C)
I just found this site and it looks full of wonderful information and helpful people. I tried the search function and found some info that was helpful, but not exactly what I needed... so thought I'd post this.

My wife, son and I are Canadian citizen with green cards. We have lived in the US since 1991 and will be applying for US citizenship (via n-400 form). My question relates to the process for my son who is 19.

He goes to university in Canada and now is in his second year. He goes to school in the fall and winter/spring sessions returning home between semesters and during the summer. He doesn’t stay out of the country in a continuous period for longer than 4-5 months. He’ll be coming home again for 3 weeks over Christmas, so I was planning on getting the process started and hopefully getting the fingerprint done while he’s in town.

I’m curious if anyone else has experience when applying for citizenship for their child while they go to school outside of the US.

A few questions:
  1. In part 6 (Residence and Employment History), do I list the temporary addresses he stays while at school in Canada (for the 4 odd months he’s there each time)
  2. In the Guide to Naturalization, the worksheet process flow in the back asks “I have resided in the district or State for the last 3 months”. Does he need to actually be in the US for 3 continuous months before he can apply? Or is this applicable to new residence to the US?
  3. How long can you delay the fingerprint and/or interview if timing doesn’t work while he’s in town.

Thanks for any insight and experiences. Cheers, gwickes

If he's going to school in Canada but otherwise lives with you his address would remain the same as yours. For students who are going to school, but otherwise live with their parents they can apply as long as they have previously resided with their parents for at least 3 months. You must provide proof that the schooling is for a specific amount of time (ex. temporary, 2 year degree), and that he continues to reside with you when he returns.
If he's not available for FP and/or interview he can request to reschedule them for a later date, but USCIS generally reschedules them within 3 months.
Also, for FP he can attempt a walk in within 30 days of his original appointment.