• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Help w/Forms-DV 2008-DS230, part II

D&A(NY)

Registered Users (C)
Hi!
I need some advice on question 33a, DS230, part II.
I have applied 2yrs ago for SS#, I got it, it was only SS# without authorization to work in US. Now, the second question, still under 33a, is asking if I want SSAdmin to assign SSN and issue a new card? I'm confused, and I want to answer NO for that question but I'm afraid to mess up something and later pay for that mistake. So if the answer should be NO since I already once had a SS#, does that mean the next question, 33b should also be NO??? Please help. Thanks!

your SSN stays the same for your entire life, regardless of your immigrant status. You already have one, you don't need another one issued.

Last edited by a moderator:
your SSN stays the same for your life, regardless of your immigrant status. You already have one, you don't need another one issued.
I would like to add something to Lucy's comment so that other people won't misunderstand. Of course, the number stays the same.
But, if you have SSN card with a note such as “VALID FOR WORK ONLY WITH DHS AUTHORIZATION” or “NOT VALID FOR EMPLOYMENT,”
you should answer "Yes" to the both 33a. questions and 33b. so that you can receive a replacement card without a restriction note.
Actually, I answerd "Yes" when I won DV2004, but I had to go to the office since they didn't send me a replacement card...:(

33a. on DS-230 Part II says:
Do you want the Social Security Administration to assign you an SSN (and issue a card) or issue you a new card (if you have an SSN)? You must answer "Yes" to this question and to the"Consent To Disclosure" in order to receive an SSN and/or card.

From Social Security Online:
What if my immigration status or citizenship changed?

If your immigration status changed or you became a U.S. citizen, you should tell Social Security so your records can be updated. To get your immigration status or citizenship corrected, you need to show documents that prove your new status or citizenship. Only certain documents can be accepted as proof of citizenship for new and replacement cards. These include your U.S. passport, a Certificate of Naturalization or a Certificate of Citizenship. If you are not a U.S. citizen, Social Security will ask to see your current immigration documents.

source: http://www.ssa.gov/pubs/10002.html#immigration

Last edited by a moderator: