Help Us Decide : What to do with the Fund Collected

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we are not going to do anything with the fund, we should use it to get Rajiv a nice gift. He is our biggest, best and most effective lobbyist over the years, and expressing our collective gratitude will certainly not be a bad idea IMHO.

Last edited by a moderator:
Attn dSatish

dSatish, can you please post account details and usage of funds collected by immigrationportal.org? We have no idea how is that money being utilised and if the attorney that was hired part time has produced any tangible results so far. Also if we dont have too much on cards, can we donate some money to the tsunami effected disaster relief?

kailashr said:
dSatish, can you please post account details and usage of funds collected by immigrationportal.org? We have no idea how is that money being utilised and if the attorney that was hired part time has produced any tangible results so far. Also if we dont have too much on cards, can we donate some money to the tsunami effected disaster relief?

Yes, I support this Idea..

Donate all the money collected (or atleast my contribution) in the name of immigration portal to the Red Cross or PM Fund for relief operations

I will have a satisfaction that it served some body who is in need..

kailashr said:

The money collected (i think that it's around 22K) was not utilized at all :eek: . Due to some reasons, Savita Krishnamoorthy could not work on ip.org issues. I haven't asked her for the reasons, but she told me that she is not in a position to work for our organization. As i have said before, the main reason for inaction / non utilization of the fund is that INS has stepped up the pace of approvals and we can no longer complain about lack of progress or speed. We can only complain about the randomness and we already did it (sent fax to about 45 congress men) but there is no reply from them. As i said before, i am waiting for the result of class action law suit so that we can decide whether we need this fund or not. As the class action status remains unchanged, so does the Fund status . Once the class action result is known, we will have to take a definitive action regarding the fund. The options are
(1) to return the money to the donors
(2) to hire some firm to achieve certain specified objectives.
As stated earlier, my preference has always been option(1), but i couldn't win majority opinion in core team. I am also getting desperate when i think of this fund issue. We should have returned the money long time back. We definitely won't be donating this money for any cause. Either it will be used for immigration benefits cause or it will be returned to the donors.

dsatish said:
The money collected (i think that it's around 22K) was not utilized at all :eek: . Due to some reasons, Savita Krishnamoorthy could not work on ip.org issues. I haven't asked her for the reasons, but she told me that she is not in a position to work for our organization. As i have said before, the main reason for inaction / non utilization of the fund is that INS has stepped up the pace of approvals and we can no longer complain about lack of progress or speed. We can only complain about the randomness and we already did it (sent fax to about 45 congress men) but there is no reply from them. As i said before, i am waiting for the result of class action law suit so that we can decide whether we need this fund or not. As the class action status remains unchanged, so does the Fund status . Once the class action result is known, we will have to take a definitive action regarding the fund. The options are
(1) to return the money to the donors
(2) to hire some firm to achieve certain specified objectives.
As stated earlier, my preference has always been option(1), but i couldn't win majority opinion in core team. I am also getting desperate when i think of this fund issue. We should have returned the money long time back. We definitely won't be donating this money for any cause. Either it will be used for immigration benefits cause or it will be returned to the donors.

My 2 cents:
The funds might be useful if the case is class ceritified. Otherwise it's better to decide about the fund utilization when we hear about the lawsuit.

Edison said:
My 2 cents:
The funds might be useful if the case is class ceritified. Otherwise it's better to decide about the fund utilization when we hear about the lawsuit.

I agree.

whats_in_name said:
I would say if we do not have a good plan to spend this money then better we return the money back to the doners.

I agree. The lawsuit is a gone case now (absolutely no news about it). The accountant of immgrationportal.org is pretty busy right now because of the tax season. After April'15, i will talk to him about details of donations and work out a plan to return as much money as possible to the donors. I don't think other core team (no longer exists) members object to this. Bottom line is, if we are not doing any thing, then let's close the account.

Long term

I haven't contributed, but willing to be a contributor (even in a big way) only 'coz i share the same fraustration as most of us in these forums. That being said, we must also come up with action items that the person assigned will cary out, and must deligently do so.

We should thing big and go long term, even if many of our cases gets approved, we should work towards making our fellow-friends's lives easier.

Keep the donations going.

Since the amount collected is not enough to hire any person for a reasonable period to achieve any tangible results, we have decided to return the money to the donors after deducting a small portion for the expenses incurred. The deduction should be small (might be around $10 per donor). I would like this whole thing settled by the end of this month. We will soon start contacting the donors to get their latest addresses.
How ever, we will continue to offer our guidance and support to any fight against backlogs.

I have sent out Email to all the online (paypal) donors and asked for their current address so that we will mail out the check (returning the donation money). So far i have received replies from 70% of the people. I am waiting for replies from others. Meanwhile, our accountant will start mailing out the checks any time soon (should start by 06/15). As for those who have made donations using MO/Check, i am waiting for their list from our accountant. I have not sent out any mail to them asking their current address. I should be doing it soon. If any one has made a donation and not received any email / mail from me, please send your name and address to dsatish2005@yahoo.com .

Details about refund:
--------------------
For those wo have donated through paypal : You will receive (amount donated - paypal fees (around 3%) - $5 (our expenses) . So those who have donated $50, might receive around $43 back. Those who have donated $100, should receive $92 back.
For those who have made donations by Check / MO : you will receive (amount donated - $5 ).

We are only returning the donation, but we are not closing the organization. We will continue to work towards immigration reforms. We will continue our discussion group (yahoo group) and we welcome new members to join it in order to fight delays in any particular area. Please send out a PM to me or "edison" in order to join the group.

Last edited by a moderator:
Money is Returned to all Donors

The money returning process is now completed.
We have contacted all donors and the money is returned to all those who have responded. Some people have moved out of towns and we have few returned checks. Those who have donated money and did not receive the return, please send me a PM.

Status
Not open for further replies.