Help regarding transit visa air india

gc_140

Registered Users (C)
I got my pass port stamped with Temporary I 551 , AND I DONT HAVE MY PLASTIC CARD YET that is the only travel document i have and i am taking AIRINDIA from Newark to Hyd through Paris MY QUESTION IS DO I NEED TO TAKE A TRANSIT VISA FROM FRENCH CONSULATE EVEN THOUGH I WILL BE IN THE AIRPORT ALL THE TIME

ANY HELP IS APPRECIATED

Hi,
You don't need any visa for France. in fact all the time in Peris You will in the flight only. so they will not allow u to get out.

if you are landing at the airport as your note mentions you need a transit visa. the ADIT (I-485 stamp in your passport) as it doesnot have any security features is not recognized by anybody else (for transit purposes)other then the us immigration authorities. you can always check the french embassy website they have very clear instructions about transit visa.

IF airindia doesnot allow you to leave the plane, then probably you should check with them what their procedure is.

personally would not hurt to have a transit visa cost 30-40 bucks but is peace of mind if any problems. :)

you need transit visa if only I-551 stamp is all you have! No need to get into rouble for $46.67 (that how much transit visa for paris costs).

Advance parole is not applicable if you already have I-551. So you need transit visa.

Transit Visa via Paris

NY-French Embassy guys will ask you to take T-Visa even if you show I-551 / Green Card.

( I was frustrated . They ask me to spend 100 $ after showing I-551. I took T-Visa .Atleast we can send this money to RedCross inaddition to whatever we have sent. )

Why rich Nations collect money like this ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Explorer19 -> You don't need Transit Visa if you are travelling thru Paris (by AirIndia) as they don't allow you to go out. Infact, I came back on AP thru the same route and there is NO PROBLEM at all.
Also, if you have I-551 stamped, you don't need the Transit Visa thru Paris by AirIndia.

Jay_T said:
Explorer19 -> You don't need Transit Visa if you are travelling thru Paris (by AirIndia) as they don't allow you to go out. Infact, I came back on AP thru the same route and there is NO PROBLEM at all.
Also, if you have I-551 stamped, you don't need the Transit Visa thru Paris by AirIndia.

i did talk with couple of travel agents they todl that we dont need a transit visa if we have AP OR i 551 passport stamping taking airindia from newark via paris

i have one more question any issues when we travel with the I 551 passport stamping with out the green card , if any one has gone through this please throw some light

Explorer19,
>> How is the situation at POE especially newark, NJ when u use AP to travel

There was absolutely no problem at all. Both (self and wife) joined the queue at Newark Immgn. Desk (waited for 15 min.). When we showed APs, we were asked to go inside a room where there were many people waiting. We had to wait for approx. 45 min. till we were called. The Officer took our Passports, APs and stamped on both and casually asked a few questions (Who is my employer and what kind of visa my wife had earlier etc.) before handing over the Passport stamped.

So, there is nothing to worry when you reenter US using AP.

Good Luck.

- Jay

Guys,

I am traveling via Frankfort through Air India. Has a valid H1 visa stamped in my passport and have AP.

1. Do I need to take transit visa?

2. At POE (Chicago) is it ok if I show my H1 approval papers? Are they specifically ask for AP? I don’t want to use AP.

Please answer these questions.

Thanks,

140 AD 07/08/2004 EB3
485 RD 11/26/2003
1FP 09/07/2004