HELP: Refund to a denied/reopen case, what is this??

BJ100

Hi, Gurus, Please help:
My details: ND 11/99 (yes, that old!!), FP 8/00. LC/EB3/Other CSC. Case was denied (yes "denied", not RFE) saying I was out of status sometime (which my lawyer said we should be able to argue). Lawyer sent "motion to reopen" on 1/2001. As a safe guard, lawyer also sent another I485 application. We haven\'t heard anything since then. Last week, we suddently received a refund ($220 for my case) from INS/CSC, but with no explaination! My questions are:
(1) Does this mean CSC agreed to reopen our case or denied the motion?
(2) Why give me a refund? Is it because we sent another I485?
(3) How long do I expect next decision?

Thanks!

RJ

No Title

It\'s very hard to explain what had happened to me. Anyway, I was \'sort of\' out of status two years ago. But my lawyer said my situation was definitly not an out of status \'defined by the law\'. So we decided to ask CSC to reconsider. Thanks. RJ

No Title

How can they find if you are out-of-status. Do they ask you details when you enter/exit the country. Is there any record keeping done by the INS. Or did they simply ask you any info.

No Title

RJ, Sorry to hear the situation.I will suggest contact your lawyer, or check with an alternate lawyer.

No Title

the $220 refund was prob for the second 485 application. If you were out of status then you could use the 245i or 245k to adjust by paying a fine of $1000 (for 245i).
Did you have any criminal record?
Try posting your question with ron gotcher\'s website at www.imminfo.com - he responds personally to the questions.
I am surprised the INS denied the application without a RFE or interview.
If you dont mind could you write about your case in detail since it will help many other people waiting for approvals.
What are your backup plans?

Good luck and dont give up.