Help!!!!!!!!Rajiv S. Khanna, please give me an answer

ct485

Registered Users (C)
I am in ye stage of last few months waiting for my green card approve, I just done my second fingerprinting.

My question is that yesterday, I received a summon from a credit card company, it ask me to appear to civil court.

What should I do right?I am plaining go explain why I can't pay the money(i do own them money), but i am worry it will affect my application, what should I do, Rajiv S. Khanna please give me some advice.
I have 20 days to appear the civil court,please give me some advice, Thanks so much,

ct485 said:
I am in ye stage of last few months waiting for my green card approve, I just done my second fingerprinting.

My question is that yesterday, I received a summon from a credit card company, it ask me to appear to civil court.

What should I do right?I am plaining go explain why I can't pay the money(i do own them money), but i am worry it will affect my application, what should I do, Rajiv S. Khanna please give me some advice.
I have 20 days to appear the civil court,please give me some advice, Thanks so much,
Please provide all details about ur GC Application b4e people can attempt to answer ur questions.
My first advice in this situation is to talk to a good lawyer.
Normally personal financial issues, unless it is criminal/felony offense shouldn't be an issue.

Thanks for the reply.
My rd is 12/2002

I know find a good lawyer is the best way, but I really can't afford it.
So please give me some advice. thanks

ct485 said:
Thanks for the reply.
My rd is 12/2002

I know find a good lawyer is the best way, but I really can't afford it.
So please give me some advice. thanks
I'm not an attorney but I can tell u if its a call from CC company most of times
it may be because you didn't pay the bills. If thats the case you can tell
in the court that you really dont have money to pay[if this is true]. Such
financial cases are common and should not affect ur GC by anyway but do consult
an attorney. Good Luck.

ct485 said:

I don't think it will effect your GC approval, however, any judgement against you in the civil court will show and stay in credit report for up to 7 years and will cost your FICO score to drop significantly. Simply put, if you wanna apply for loan and credits in the future, banks and other credit companies will avoid you like plague. I know I sound a little harsh, but it is the truth. You should call up your credit card company to work out some deal before the court date. Usually credit card companies are willing to work with you on payment terms. Good luck!

I do not mean to scare (and may be wrong too)...Will this not be considered as bankrupt?Isn't there a clause in the 485 form that "Have you ever filed a bankruptcy?" or something.. In that case how would they treat it? How much money are you talking about here ?

Last edited by a moderator:
ct485 said:

Seems to be pretty straight forward, what is your PERSONAL FINANCE to do with your INS file? And Bankrupty issue applies to your EMPLOYER not to you as raised by last responder.

girishreknar said:
Seems to be pretty straight forward, what is your PERSONAL FINANCE to do with your INS file? And Bankrupty issue applies to your EMPLOYER not to you as raised by last responder.

Correction. Bankrupcy can be filed by an individual too. But this case is not bankrupcy unless you go through the legal route. There are special attorney's who deal with it and it has its own court system known as Bankrupcy Court. But can this situation be nit interpreted as a person liable to become a public liability? In that case it would affect the I485 application.

vrajbhumi said:
Correction. Bankrupcy can be filed by an individual too. But this case is not bankrupcy unless you go through the legal route. There are special attorney's who deal with it and it has its own court system known as Bankrupcy Court. But can this situation be nit interpreted as a person liable to become a public liability? In that case it would affect the I485 application.

He will be PUBLIC LIABILITY only if he was not working and cannot produce PAY STUBS, he can always have some problem with a specific creditor and dispute it. Bankruptcy cannot be proved against individual with respect to INS besides PAY STUBS.

He will be PUBLIC LIABILITY only if he was not working and cannot produce PAY STUBS

To be concidered a PUBLIC LIABILITY your net worth should be below the level specified by Immigration office every year..
So, if you could show min.that amount af assets you are not a public liability (even not working - no pay stubs).

Last edited by a moderator:
guys, thanks for the reply.

As I mention that I can't afford a lawyer,
As your opinion, should I just go ahead to court to explain my situation or now I can still try to call credit card company?
But the problem is that the letter only give provide me their lawyer's phone number.
Can anyone give me a advice, thanks