Help Please: Taking kids along for Interview ?

complex_dude

Registered Users (C)
Hi
Our interviews (self+spouse) are on the same date/time @ SJC DO.
Any comments on whether we can take our 1 year old along ?

Would they allow one of us to be with the child, while other is being interviewed ?

Thanks
cd

This question doesn't have clear answer.

You can't leave your 1 yr old in waiting hall because they clearly say kids should be supervised at all time.

There are couple of possibilities though:
1. Security person or receptionist in interview hall takes care of your kid ... no seriously I have read this in one of the interview experience.
2. One of the IO (yours or your spouse's) allows you to bring your kid in interview room.
3. One of you go in for interview while other take care of kid.

I have read all 3 in various interview experience but no one says for sure that at least one of 3 will be OK. #2 & #3 are more common though.

It totally depends on DO and personal there.

Our interview was at 7:15 AM and I had to start at 5:30 AM from home and I was in big trouble where to leave kids ... eventually one of my friend took care of them and I was glad that I didn't took them because I wouldn't have found any help.

3. One of you go in for interview while other take care of kid.

This is the most likely option. There is a big waiting area, and there are kids play toys in one corner, so most likely they have done this expecting similar situations.

In San Jose, you deposit your interview letter in a tray across an opaque wall ... I do not remember now whether it was glass, or just a regular wall. Anyway, there is no receptionist to discuss doing interview one after the other. What you can do is to talk to the IO when he/she comes to get you, or leave a note on a sticky with the interview letter explaining this.

Sorry if it is not very clear - they will take care of your situation, it is just that I am unclear on how you can pass this message to them based on my recollection of the office.

Because the two interviews are on same time, I think it is not prudent to take the kid along.

They have a big waiting area with books for kids. That means they are open to having kids in there. I am sure that you have no problem if the interviews were well staggered between you and your wife. But if it is not staggered, like in your case, you are risking - basically you are saying you can not get interviewed at same time.

I do not know whether they allow to take kid in with you at interview.

FYI: kidspark near santana row has a nice drop in day care.

Thanks a lot all.

I'd first try to arrange for a day-care or baby sitter.

But just in case this does not work out:
Are there any known cases where the interview was actually risked because neither of the 3 options worked ?