HELP PLEASE!!! Obtaining an ID for Interview???

PortugueseLady

Registered Users (C)
We have our interview on Feb 5th.

My husband does not have a picture ID to reflect, a photo ID and our home address. I am still waiting for our EAD....January 31st will mark the 90days...but the interview is a week later.... :eek:

I know, from reading here, that the first thing they ask for is a Photo ID and passport....how can I obtain a Photo ID..

I went to our local DMV today to try and obtain a State ID and was denied because I did not have a SS#...

Where do I go from here????
Will this ruin our chances to pass the interview???

Please Help??? :(

i am in the same situation. my lawyer says, that the only thing you require is one id. for me that's my passport with i-94. i wasn't sure if you said that you had no passport but if you do that should be fine.

my interview is on jan. 30th and that will mark my 67th day after sending it in. so there is no way for me to try to get an interim ead.

If your husband attends college and or university, they provide student ID with pictures. That could be one photo ID. Your husband's passport although is a major proof of his ID.

My husband does have passport and his I-94 card but I thought he needed something with our home address with a picture.

I have plenty of evidence with both our names and home address, I am not worried about that, but the initial ID reqest at the begining. I have a lawyer too but honestly, he is no help...has been like that since the begining...oh I don't want to get into that... :eek:

No, my husband doesn't attend college...

I was going to make an appointment with Info Pass to check and see what they say??

i personally don't think you have anything to worry about. i have a social and DMV still didn't get me an id card. My lawyer said that you just have to explain that to them and there is nothing they can do. Just like if he can't work without an ead...he can't show any pay stubs (at least thats in my case). I really wouldn't be worried because his passport and i-94 are sufficient.

one question maybe would be if his passport is expired....then you might have to see if his consulate would be willing to renew it somehow.

which state are you in btw?

We are in RI.

His passport is not expired, that's a good thing. I guess I can just use what I have and explain it during the interview.

The guy at the DMV said the same thing, he gets so many people come in, with the same request and doesn't understand how Immigration thinks they can obtain an ID.

Whatever he used to go to fingerprint appointment for EAD should be what he takes to the interview. In most states he can use the appointment notice for the EAD/fingerprints to get a Driver's license and/or state ID. Do that right away since it only takes a week to process. He will also need any utility bills in his name with address as proof of where you live for both an ID and the interview appointment. Look up your State's required documentation for an ID. His Passport, copy of Birth Certificate, utility bill(s) or bank account and NOAs.

RI requires a SS#, I tried this morning and failed.

He used his Passport for his fingerprints. I don't think in RI, I brought all my paperwork and the guy said, no can do....

Just relax...

PortugueseLady said:
We are in RI.

His passport is not expired, that's a good thing. I guess I can just use what I have and explain it during the interview.

The guy at the DMV said the same thing, he gets so many people come in, with the same request and doesn't understand how Immigration thinks they can obtain an ID.

Portgueselady,

Don't be stressed by his lack of a second ID. :) As long as he had a single form of ID with him, then he is in good shape. Passport is issued by a foreign govt, and the US govt view it as it face value, unless it is proven to be a fraudalent docuement. USCIS officer can prove who he is by the photos submitted in his application, the photo taken during his biometrics and the passport that he's going to bring to the interview. For example, years ago, I obtained a non-drivers ID from DMV with my student ID and an apt lease,but this was before 9/11. :eek: I didn't want to take a DL in that state, because they were nutty with their rules.

Remember this: your AOS interview isn't about his ID, but rather to prove the bona fide relationship between the two of you. So, if they want to deny you an immigration benefit because he doesn't have a secondary id, then our world is in terrible shape. :rolleyes: Mail can prove someone's place of residence, so you shouldn't be sweating over this. His passport is valid, so he is in good shape.

Relax, prepare all your evidence and be approved on your interview day. Also, if approved and USCIS can stamp his passport, then his troubles will be over. You can get him a ss and a drivers license using the stamp in his passport. :p

Al Southner said:
Relax, prepare all your evidence and be approved on your interview day. Also, if approved and USCIS can stamp his passport, then his troubles will be over. You can get him a ss and a drivers license using the stamp in his passport. :p

hey al

is it true that they don't always stamp your passport anymore? my lawyer has been really great so far but he said that all i would get is the welcome letter and then eventually the card...i told him what i read here about the stamp and all.....he said they used to do that but don't all the times, i guess unless i really need to travel before i get the card.

Thanks.....Al Southner... :) I feel much better now...I never really thought about that, the biometrics pics and those submitted...I will just use his passport. I just want to have everything we are suppose too.

I know, we both can't wait til this is over, were nervous but at the same time were not b/c we are a "real" married couple :), but you never know what can go wrong. I'm hoping we get those 5 minutes interviews ;) versus 45minutes... :eek: but whatever it may be, lord willing all will work out.

Velli: A friend of ours just went through this and he received his GC in 8days total after Interview day, and was told they don't stamp passport anymore due to the fact that the cards are mailed out so quickly..but each state could be different.

thanks portugueselady

i am sure everything will be fine just don't seemtoo anxious since it can appear like something is wrong. My wife and I are currently living with her parents and my lawyer says that the most important is joint accts. and notices from both parents stating that it is a bone fide marriage. Now maybe that is because my wife and I are younger than some other applicants but IMO it all depends on how the IO feels about you when you sit in front of him. Everything is forgeable and therefor their gut feeling is probably the most important thing. So my advice even though I know how hard it is, just try to be yourself relax and don't worry. The worst thing that can happen is that he won't approve it but if you guys got married because you wanted to then you will get it eventually.
But i am sure that you'll be fine.....since I am hoping the same for me!!

Velli...u'll be fine..

velli said:
thanks portugueselady

i am sure everything will be fine just don't seemtoo anxious since it can appear like something is wrong. My wife and I are currently living with her parents and my lawyer says that the most important is joint accts. and notices from both parents stating that it is a bone fide marriage. Now maybe that is because my wife and I are younger than some other applicants but IMO it all depends on how the IO feels about you when you sit in front of him. Everything is forgeable and therefor their gut feeling is probably the most important thing. So my advice even though I know how hard it is, just try to be yourself relax and don't worry. The worst thing that can happen is that he won't approve it but if you guys got married because you wanted to then you will get it eventually.
But i am sure that you'll be fine.....since I am hoping the same for me!!

Velli,

Response by P'Lady is an apt one. There seems to be a practice within USCIS that they no longer stamp people's passport as cards are mailed out relative quick. So, it also depends on the officer conducting the interview.

On your upcoming interview, just relax and be prepared to answer all questions being posed at you. You mentioned that you were young, curious to learn how old are you? :eek: You can PM me on that one.

My advise is simple: Take all your evidence, joint-stew if you might call it :p
Lease, insurace-car, home, health and life, phone and cellphone bills, utility bills if they are in your name (if under parent's-they can write a note attesting to you guys paying some fractions, only if you pay), any mail addressed to you and her with the same address, bank, credit and dept store cards with both of your names on, wedding pictures, vacation pictures if you have vacationed together recently or in the past (before marriage is powerful evidence too), emails, love notes and cards before and after your marriage, home pictures taken during your candle light dinners @home :eek: (if u spice things some times), thanksgiving or Xmas pictures with family or friends or just the two of you. Remember those Xmas gifts you bought each other for Xmas? A question could be asked as who bought who, what for Xmas. :D The letter from both parents will be helpful, and if you are member of any religious group, a letter from someone in position of authority in your church, mosque or synagogue could be helpful too, because of the respect placed on such letters. ;)

Lastly, dress spiffy for interview like a married couple with a purpose in life, plus your attorney will be there to ensure no USCIS officer abuses his temporary power on you, you should be in good shape. Don't be nervous, this could spell unnecessary hardship for you and your spouse. Be confidant :) Lastly, forgery as a word should be left at the entrance of USCIS, because if you mentioned that things could be forged inadvertently to the officer, you might be a toast by end of Jan 30th.... :rolleyes:

i know never to use the word "forgery" in such a situation. I was basically just saying the same things you were. About my age...well i guess i am not all that young to some people but to me I guess I still feel young (mid 20s).

Not having a license or state ID is not a big deal. When I went to interview for my AOS for technical reasons I did not have my license at the time and my valid foreign passport was enough.

If you have a visa stamp, either valid or expired should also act as second ID, since it has your picture and all other relevant details. My interviewer flipped directly to the visa page without even bothering to check if the passport was still valid. Lucky for me the visa was still technically good.

I feel much better now with the whole ID situation.

My husband has his Passport, which is not expired so I think I should be fine.
I am gathering all that we have with both our names on it.

I know, I need to calm myself down before the interview.
I think it should be fine, many have said, they can see how much my husband and I are in love by the way we just look at each other and act towards each other, so if we just act ourselves we will be fine.... ;)

Understood...

velli said:
i know never to use the word "forgery" in such a situation. I was basically just saying the same things you were. About my age...well i guess i am not all that young to some people but to me I guess I still feel young (mid 20s).

Velli,

I am glad that you understand the importance of words you plan to use. I know of a situation where someone was being interviewed for naturalization. After the officer told him that he was approving and recommending him for naturalization, the guy was so happy that he made a stupid joke, thinking that he was going to share the laughter with the officer. he said this " Since I will be a US citizen, I am now free to join a nazi group". :( While expecting a laughter from the Officer, he was shocked to see a stone-faced officer staring at him. There jokes which aren't cross-cultural. :cool:

The officer told him that he was going to review his case further and talk to his supervisor. :rolleyes: Guess what, a week or two later, his naturalization was denied, because what he thought to be funny was offensive and ill-advised. Nazi membership is not something to be proud of, if you follow news very closely, about 3 yrs ago, a nazi member who lived in CA or WA for over 40 yrs was deported back to Germany for having being a member of Nazi group. :( Unless a joke is made by an officer and has some resonance with you, don't buy into their fakeness sometimes. :eek:

As I said, I wish you all the best in your upcoming interview. enjoy it... :p