Help please: I-130/I-485 puzzle

DareToDream

Registered Users (C)
I have a question regarding GC based on marriage to a GC holder (form I-130). Looks like (1), (2) and (3) below are contradicting each other:

1) According to the law, one can file joint I-130/I-485 only when visa numbers are immediately available.

2) The soonest availability dates for May 2010 is 2006-12-01 (over 3 years). Further in the past the back-log is much greater. Therefore currently and in the past there were no immediately available visa numbers.

3) According to immigration tracking for I-130/I-485 (I cannot post the link to the tracker website due to message board regulations), there are a lot of successfully approved cases filed less than two years ago (GC holder petitioning for their spouses):

Please let me know how to reconcile this, perhaps I am misunderstanding something...

I wish somebody would reply my question. It is really interesting and important. Perhaps I should summarize it:

The tracker (with real people cases) shows I130/I485 GC approved under two years for Family-Based 2A category.
On the other hand the bulletin shows no available visa numbers for this category.

Does it mean I can apply for my spouse and get the GC for her within 2 years, and what is more important, have EAD and AP approved within few month???!!!

The current visa bulletin shows Jan 2008 for most countries in the the 2A category. This is an anomaly; normally the cutoff date is 4-5 years before the present day. You should expect it to revert to the usual 4-5 year time frame soon. You cannot file I-130 and I-485 together when you are still an LPR, because of the cutoff date not being "Current".

The people showing under 2 years for their I130/I-485 approval in 2A probably filed it originally as 2A, but they became US citizens after filing so they would not be subject to category limitations on visa numbers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Jack, that's might be an explanation.
Though your comment about the trend/fluke in the bulletin regarding 2A dates is grim, I really had a hope that it is only going to shorten.