HELP! PA driver license on EAD

mapanjgc

My driver license from NH will expire in two months, and I was told by the officer in PENDOT that they won't issue driver license for people in AOS without a valid visa status for more than 1 year. I was laid off and the H1 expires this May. Is there anyway to get around the problem? I just need a valid driver license so that I can drive to work in PA.

I remember there was someone having similar problem before. Could you please share how did you solve the problem? Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated!

I am in a same boat

I am also in a same boat regarding my wife. She was on H4 and her H4 is expiring in April 2003. Now, that she is in AOS, my company is not going to extend my H1 (and hence her H4). The PA DMV gave me the same response that you got from them. Don't know what to do.

N

State Differences

Every state differs in their laws. specially driving license. So its tuff to argue against them... as it is the 'law.'

You probably can get a driver's license based on your EAD. OR if you move to a different state where the rules are different - you may be able to get one with a longer validity.

I am not sure about PA. But I assuming that you can definitely get one valid till the duration of your EAD expiration. The drawback is you will have to go the DMV to renew as soon as your EAD gets extended or your status changes.

It is unfortunate that they will not give a one with a longer validity... although they are valid from their standpoint its not fair on your part to 1. Pay the regular license renewal fee every year or so.
2. Spend unneccessary time at the DMV to get it renewed.

You should write to your govt. authority - governer, mayor,senator, DMV Head... and let them know your concerns and the inconvinience. At the least they should change the renewal fee on a proration for the time period they issue the license.

I know this does not help much but my 2 cents anyway.

The problem with PA DMV is that, they don't give to licence on EAD in the first place. I don't mind renewing it every year and pay the renewal fee, but, at least they should give temporary licence to the people on EAD.

Call your local congressman and explain the problem. I'm sure they will do something. I can understand them not issuing a new license, but if you already have a license from another state they should honor that and issue you one from PA after you complete the necessary exams or submit documents as needed.

that is wierd. I just got my driver's license yesterday here in CO on EAD. It has the same expiry date as the EAD which is understandable.

My Experience is Different -

I was in PA in 2002. My DMV experience was different. I went to DMV office in April '02, handed over my Ohio drivers licence, which was about to expire in 2 days. Told them that I moved to PA recently and I wanted to renew my drivers licence. She asked me what is my SSN number and the current address in PA. After giving them, I paid the fee, got the driver's licence in 15 min. Said Thanks and got out. They didn't ask for either EAD or passport.

The DMV station is in Malvern, near King of Prusia on Route 30.

Did the rules change lately?

- Bob

Just want to add one more line

- The new DL has 4 years validity. I am also in AOS stage now.

- Bob

does anyone has experience of renewing driver license on EAD in NH?

I belive that the rule has changed recently, sometime last year. PA also asks for more than 1 year validity for people on non-immigrant visas, such as H1, F1. Otherwise, they won't issue driver license at all.

I still got friends in NH, so IF NH can renew my license based on EAD, I guess I can live with that. Does anyone have experience with NH driver license renew before?

Some states are really life tougher for us after 911. NH requires all non-citizens (including gc holder) to renew their driver license in the state capital instead of any local office.

PA DMV new rules

Go to this URL:

http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/legislation/bulletin154.shtml

Read under HB 152. Seems like the new law is effective SEPT. 5, 2003.
It's only March now. They should not start applying the law at this time.

Carry a printout of the page with you and show it to them. It's their own Webpage. They must follow what they say.
Let us know on here how it goes.

Good luck.

laddi

Last edited by a moderator:
PA doesn't issue licenses on EAD

HI All,
I had gone through the same problem. I was in AOS and PENDOTT refused to issue me the license. So, I flew to CA and renewed my license for 5 years. Now that I got plastic card and planing to get PA license. Hope this helps.

Thanks.

here is my 2 cents

to transfer another state's license to PA, u don't have to worry
about AOS. call them and ask them what they need to make the transfer.
i did mine couple of years ago while i was on ead (from ohio's).
i think u just need SSN, a valid address and the fee.

I got my first time learners permit license 2weeks ago on EAD. (NYC)I'm also in AOS.They didn't ask me anything about my current status.Front of the license say " Temporaly visitor until...(the expire day of my EAD).:)

This is a serious issue

I think this is a very serious issue. One cannot 'almost' live in this country without a valid License. It is a very basic and primary document for ID to everything.
You cannot be expected to go to work or anywhere else without driving as it is the public transport system sucks here. India is much better in that area.

My 2 cents is to bring this issue up to the concerned governer. The name and office numbers can be found from the DMV websites. Write a letter to the explaining the problems an incoviences faced. You will get a response. If by any chance you do not the... do go see an attorney. One solution to every problem in this country is an attorney. They will guide you as well as help you - if possible and necessary.

Also, it is better to bring things like this to authorities attention, instead of circumventing it by other means - like carrying a license from other states or showing an address of a friend. Who know tomorrow that small incident could bite us. They might say that we were not truthful... and God know what else... no matter whose fault it was.

Remember, they can track you down to the day, if something goes wrong and they start investigating. Tax filing, License, vehicle registered, your mailing address, you address on credit cards... banks... etc. etc... are all public records and anything and everything might work for you or against you.

Just my thoughts....

PS: I had an incident where a state tracked me down after 5 years for some local tax. Only because, I did not return my registration plates when I sold my car... and moved to another state. Both happened almost at the same time and I did not know any better.(ie.. I had to return the plates - I was new to the country and nobody told me either) I finally paid the outstanding amout with penalty and 5 yrs worth of interest.