help on the I-140 (NIW) pending while changing job

guestusa

Registered Users (C)
This is my first time to log on this quite informative site.

Dear all,

Myself-petitioned I-140(NIW) is pending. I was heard
NIW does not need job offer,which means it has nothing to do
with the employer. my question is
1) May I change job with a new employer in almost the same research field during the
pending period ? or I have to wait for I-140 approval or
even after filing I-485 ?
2) what if my old employer inform INS that I switch to another employer thus do I have to
re-apply for I-140 ?
3) I was also heard it will be fine as long as you are sticking on the same research field ( still NIW based ), what does it mean by same field ?
  In my case, my old project is about AIDS vaccine, while new project is about HIV.

Thanks very much for your input

This is my first time to log on this quite informative site.

Dear all,

Myself-petitioned I-140(NIW) is pending. I was heard
    NIW does not need job offer,which means it has nothing to do
    with the employer. my question is
    1) May I change job with a new employer in almost the same research field during the
    pending period ? or I have to wait for I-140 approval or
    even after filing I-485 ?
    2) what if my old employer inform INS that I switch to another employer thus do I have to
    re-apply for I-140 ?
    3) I was also heard it will be fine as long as you are sticking on the same research field ( still NIW based ), what does it mean by same field ?
      In my case, my old project is about AIDS vaccine, while new project is about HIV.

Thanks very much for your input

I-140/NIW

It seems this thread has been here for long. May I know if anyone has insights on this situation?

I have very similar questions. Sharing any experience/knowledge will be appreciated.

RK

Just an FYI

Hi guestusa ,

From what little knowledge I have, I140 is the employer application and if you change the employer, then your process starts again. Only when I140 is approved and I485 has been filed for over 6 months, we can use "Portability" option, to change employer, if hired in exact same capacity and position. But as I said, my info. may not be correct.

Also there are various other groups here, where this topic has been talked over and over. So you may want to search for them.

Thanks.

I think it is OK to change the job with NIW pending. As a matter of fact, I know two guys who applied NIW while in PhD study (before they actually got their PhD) and left the university before the approval of their NIW applications. Now, they all got their NIW approved.

GKVBC,

Thanks for your prompt reply. Yes, that makes sense. Do you or someone else think that I-140/NIW being under EB2 category makes any complication? I know this is messy, but I am sure there are many folks who follow this procedure. How someone follows through these changes beyond just informing INS about the address change?

Thanks for your insights.

RK