I need your help regarding AP usage.

Here are my details:
485 RD 5/30/2002
485 ND 5/31/2002

My wife's details:
485 RD 7/30/2002
485 ND 7/31/2002

I have changed my job in Jan 2003.
Now wife went back to India and returning before her AP exipre date.

Do you think there will be a problem when she comes back. I have used my friend's address in CA. Right now I am in midwest state. Her POE will be CHICAGO. Do you think there would be a problem if she fills out CA address in I-94?

What kind of questions AP may raise ? I heard that they will ask who is the petetioning employer and such questions. I am bit worried about this. Please respond ASAP.

If any of you were in the same boat please share the info.

Thanks
JM

Last edited by a moderator:
J-m, even though I have never really filed for AP myself, and have not faced this issue, so I might not be the best person to comment on this, but I think port of entry should not matter, as long as you have a valid AP.

Am under similar situation only though I have completed more than one year with sponsoring company and that we are still based in CA though we have moved.

My wife is returning soon.
Will post you the details once she is back

Junior Member:
There should be no problem at all! My wife has been entering and exiting USA on Ap several times and nobody asked her anything. There are two minor things you should know however:

1. When boarding the plane, the airline person might be puzzled by AP document. Your wife needs to carry a photocopy of AP in case they want to fax the copy to INS to see if they can let her on the plane or not - they did that to us in Santiago, Chile and when the guy was gone for 45 minutes we already thought we were doomed - no AP in a foreign land. But it turned out OK in the end.

2. When entering on AP, your wife should be ready for a longer wait - they'll probably ask her to wait in a room somewhere at the airport and she might lose a connecting flight - which is not a big deal unless she's traveling with a baby (personal experience talking here buddy - always fly directly to where you're going in USA).

AP entry

.. Every airline I have flown on AP (since '02) are confused about the APD doc unless you tell them (as they fumble through your passport likely looking at expired US visas) "HERE IS THE US VISA DOCUMENT" (they dont know what an APD is -- i wouldnt expect them to). Then offer a (preferably color) copy for them to keep. SHOW THEM THE EXPIRY DATE (and if its not the first time you are using the APD, there would be an INS entry stamp in the lower right hand corner).

I have now travelled 7 times on APD and used the above procedure each time (United at Paris was the most confused, New Delhi folks are used to seeing this doc). Point of Entry was SFO or Chicago. In SFO "Secondary Processing" (Where you are sent to the INS room behind the row of Immigration Officer desks) took place each time where they check docs and passport and A #. It took less than 5 minutes each time. In Chicago, the Immigration Officer stamped the passport and APD, dated it to 1 day less than the expiry date on APD. Told me SFO should not direct me to Secondary Processing because they can see all they need on the APD itself etc etc.

**Please make sure they stamp the right date in the APD *and* the passport**. Twice they made mistakes in mine and I had to get it corrected (scratch out and initial)

Hello All

Thanks for your replies and I got relieved with your answers.

One more point my wife has valid visa until September 2004, that was from my previous employer.

I am using EAD with my new employer of course I changed the job after 180 days.

Once again Thanks to everyone of you.

JM