Help needed...

NJ-485

Registered Users (C)
Folks,
  I will be laid off from work sometime July. My RD is July 10.
I did not file for EAD earlier as I assumed my GC will be approved, but now I have lost hope and applied for initial EAD on 24th APR 2002.

The question I have is
1) Can I walk in to the local INS office at newark and get my EAD with the I-765 receipt.
2) I have another offer lined up beyond July. To go work for the new company do I need to file for a new H1 if my EAD or GC has not been approved by July.
3) Is it okay to work with an EAD receipt notice? meaning is it legally okay to work with just an EAD receipt?

Any input with regards to this will be very useful.

EAD in Local oofice

The rule is if you did not get your EAD after 3 month, in your case 7/24/02, you can walk in to get an Interim EAD from local office. I do not know if exceptions can be given.

Ram

You can work on an EAD only. You do not need a valid H1B to work once 180 days from date of filing I-485 are over. That is the whole point of the EAD and the AC-21. You may switch jobs immediately provided you have a valid EAD.

what happens if I don\'t get my EAD

what happens if I don\'t get my EAD when I am laid off. Do I have to wait for the EAD ...or can I file for a new H1 with the new employer and start working immediately?

You need either EAD or H1-transfer receipt

If you dont have the EAD, you should have at least "applied" for a new H1. Why dont you go ahead and apply for the H1 transfer just to be safe. You can always reject the offer if you dont get laid off. This is a backup only if EAD fails. Unfortunatley it can also be delayed like in my case I had and RFE for photos. So if you dont mind the H1 fees, I suggest you do that too. BTW is your 180 days up?