Help needed regarding fraudulent lawyer

Dana2592

Registered Users (C)
I have a big problem. My employer has sponsored me for the permanent residence.

In 2001 I contacted a lawyer, A.G. Santos in Houston Texas and he filed for the Labor Certification. The application was received in August 2003 and then it was sent to the Backlog Center in Dallas. In January my “lawyer” received a 45-day letter and according to this letter he had to declare if we wanted to proceed with the application.

I had problems with Santos in the past. He didn’t respond to my inquiries. Then I sent him an e-mail treatening that I would contact the State Bar and he responded within 24 hours.

Recently, I was trying to contact A.G. Santos to make sure that the 45-day letter was sent to the Backlog Center. He didn’t respond to my e-mails. Today I called his number and it was disconnected. In this situation, I contacted the State Bar and I learned that he resigned as an attorney in May of 2005.

He didn’t notify me about his resignation and, as far as I know, he did not contact my employer. I have already paid him over $3000.

I am completely lost and I don't know what to do.

The 45-days letter was dated January 11 and I was sure that he responded. Now I am not so sure anymore.

I have no idea how to locate him.

Dana2592 said:
I have a big problem. My employer has sponsored me for the permanent residence.

In 2001 I contacted a lawyer, A.G. Santos in Houston Texas and he filed for the Labor Certification. The application was received in August 2003 and then it was sent to the Backlog Center in Dallas. In January my “lawyer” received a 45-day letter and according to this letter he had to declare if we wanted to proceed with the application.

I had problems with Santos in the past. He didn’t respond to my inquiries. Then I sent him an e-mail treatening that I would contact the State Bar and he responded within 24 hours.

Recently, I was trying to contact A.G. Santos to make sure that the 45-day letter was sent to the Backlog Center. He didn’t respond to my e-mails. Today I called his number and it was disconnected. In this situation, I contacted the State Bar and I learned that he resigned as an attorney in May of 2005.

He didn’t notify me about his resignation and, as far as I know, he did not contact my employer. I have already paid him over $3000.

I am completely lost and I don't know what to do.

The 45-days letter was dated January 11 and I was sure that he responded. Now I am not so sure anymore.

I have no idea how to locate him.
Hi Dana2592,
First of all you are not alone. I and many others in this forum have have very bad exprerience with immigration lawyers.
In your particular case the first you need to do is to get a screenshor from the backlog elimination center and check if the case is not closed.
Also check with your employer and ask them if they got the 45 days letter. If they did not you can claim that the letter was not received.

Thanks.

As far as I know, Santos got a letter in January. He faxed me a copy. He also told me that he would send a response, however I think that he didn't, knowing that he was not licenced to practice law in Texas anymore. I cannot even locate him and ask. I have read somewhere that a 45-day letter is sent to both a lawyer and an employer. I contacted my HR department and I let them know what happened. Hopefully they will contact the Backlog Center.

I have heard some horror stories regarding bad lawyers but I didn't think it would happen to me.

:)