help Needed Pls!!!!, anyone got SSN after EAD

wait-to-GC

Registered Users (C)
Hi Guys,

I would really appreciate if someone could help me on this. I got my interim EAD sometime back and applied for SSN and its been 4 weeks and there is no news on SSN. In the mean while I have got a job offer which I am very much interested in. So my question is will me employer let me join without SSN, has anyone done that before and approx how much time does it take to get SSN. Pls help needed soon as I have to do my paper work next week.

Thanks
Wait-to-GC

I think you can call SSN office and tell them the situation. They will help you. I bleakly remember some one writing about this issue on this forum. I think he called Social security they gave him the number or some thing like that.

Try to call them or visit the local office and tell them the situation.

Tammy is Right, They use to give SSN# over the phone ( As my friend got similar fashion ).

Recently I got a chance to go to SSA office, when applied for my wife for SSN after getting EAD, they said it would take 5 - 14 Business days.. Mean while I asked the Clerk, about calling SSN office and getting SSN # over phone ! She politely said , they stopped giving SSN # over the phone. My wife got in 10 days...

Since you applied 4 weeks back, try calling SSA office !!!!

Good luck

Thanks a lot everyone for sharing your experiences. I am too on H4 so I guess i am in same boat. As all have asked me to call SSN office, I did that yesterday but no use, I got the same old reply the INS hasnt updated the database, So i called the INS also and they said that they have updated the database.

So frankly I don't get the missing link. I am just praying that the company allows me to join them and as UnitedNations said i hopefully get my SSN before my first pay check.

Thank you all
Wait-to-GC

go to SSN office again...and get it

When my wide applied for SSM with EAD, they said it will reach home in 4 weeks however if she wants it urgently she should come to SSN offce again after a week and they will give her the SSN number ( not the card ) in person.

You should go to the SSN office and get the number.

will_get_there said:
When my wide applied for SSM with EAD, they said it will reach home in 4 weeks however if she wants it urgently she should come to SSN offce again after a week and they will give her the SSN number ( not the card ) in person.

You should go to the SSN office and get the number.

Just curious: Who is wide and what do you mean by SSM. Did you marry the word "WIDE" and assigned "She" to wide ?

You are so cool...

technically, you don't need SSN to start work, you need it start collecting social security into your social security funds for later when you retire, or become disabled. You will need to show your SSN soon, so that the company can use it when they file thier taxes. Since you have permission to work, either by a visa or by being a US citizen, you can start on day 1.

The company will need your SSN at tax time when it comes time to file what you have contributed to social security. As long as you get the SSN to them by then, you are ok. If you tell them, in good faith that you'll give it to them by that time, then nobody will get in trouble.