Help! My wallet is stolen!!

milonas

Hi all, I know that this is not going to help me right now as I am already a victim of theft. My wallet has been stolen and I have lost all my important documents that even included my financial details. I fear that they may be used to make my accounts drain. I have already taken the necessary steps for this but this is going to be a real danger in future as it is sometimes too late and by that time everything is gone. I wanted to know that if there are any pre-steps that we can take in case of wallet theft? Any help would be highly appreciated. Thanks!

Re: Help! My wallet is stolen

I was also a victim of wallet theft and that made me to look for the answers concerning these issues. I recently heard about Wallet Lock which is a service effective against theft. In this, the company helps you to make your details secure and in case of your wallet being stolen they help you to get back the details and make you feel secure about the information not being used to your harm. It really makes us feel comfortable to go on a spending spree without the hassle to be panicked when your wallet is stolen. I hope that you will find this information useful and make it work in your best interests.

Some pre-steps you can take include
  • Only carry those cards that you need and use on a regular basis. Leave the others at home.
  • Keep at home a card for an account that you do not carry with you. This gives you a backup when you have to cancel all the other cards.
  • Always sign the back of all cards with signature strips. I don't agree with the 'do not sign' approach. Although most stores now never look at the signature line since they get electronic approval.
  • Never carry your social security card or other hard to replace documents. With the new Passport Card you should carry it instead of a passport if you feel you may need to prove US citizenship.
  • Ask any providers that use your social security number as an ID on cards for replacement cards with an alternative id.
  • Photocopy the front and back of all cards that you are carrying. This will give you the id numbers as well as the customer service phone numbers. Copy multiple cards at the same time eg 8 or 10 at once.

Hi all, I know that this is not going to help me right now as I am already a victim of theft. My wallet has been stolen and I have lost all my important documents that even included my financial details. I fear that they may be used to make my accounts drain. I have already taken the necessary steps for this but this is going to be a real danger in future as it is sometimes too late and by that time everything is gone. I wanted to know that if there are any pre-steps that we can take in case of wallet theft? Any help would be highly appreciated. Thanks!

I know you took all the steps but for benefit of others,

I would first register police complaint. If somebody steals your identity, you need the police report to prove it that you are not that person.

I am sure you have called all credit cards and cancelled all cards. If not, do that right now.

Next I will call all credit bureau and ask them to put fraud alert on your credit files. That may slow down that thief.

Most imp thing that you can do now a days is Credit freeze.
http://www.consumersunion.org/campaigns//learn_more/003484indiv.html

Do that now so that even if your identity is stolen in future, your credit history can not be harmed.

Some of the info I said here may not apply to your case but just making others aware of it.