Help me get started down the right path

MrGringo

Registered Users (C)
This site is great, though it's a lot of info to sift through, even using the search function. I am a US citizen and my girlfriend is a Brazilian citizen. I think the least painful way to go about this is to just give you a quick explanation about what we're hoping to do.

I would like for us to become "engaged" or make her my fiance during a visit to Brazil this December. As soon as I return to the US, I would like to get started on a fiance visa. Once she gets the visa, then she'll come to the US to be with me. We'll have a legal marriage, which should allow us to get started on applying for her permanent residence.

That's the overall plan. Now, what I need to know is what are all the forms I need for this particular case, what order can they be filed, and what is the approximate timeline we can expect for all of this assuming no mistakes are made. Thanks for your assistance getting me started down the right path.

Great info. That site is exactly what I needed. Of course this opens a related question. I see that it is going to take much longer than my girlfriend and I were expecting to get what I see is a K-1 visa which allows her to move up here. Is there any way to kick this off sooner, such as become a fiance now just by saying we are? I'm still going there in December and that is the plan anyway. Why can't I kick this off now and check the fiance box before the process is complete?

[EDIT] Well I think I found that the answer is NO and that is based on this single fact: You need to provide photographic proof of the relationship in the form of you and your fiancee together. We don't have that yet until I arrive there in December. I guess the best I can do for ourselves is to have the I-129F and G325a 90% ready to go prior to the visit and then finish it and kick it out ASAP upon my return to the US. I'd still be interested in hearing that one oddball's loop-hole story about the photos.

Last edited by a moderator:
More than photos you need to provide evidence of having met her in person within the last 2 years (or seen each other in that period) so, more than photos you will need the boarding passes of you traveling to Brazil.

Sorry, but loopholes are never a good idea, just be patient, it will pay off in the end.

Gotcha. With that known, now I need to step back and figure out what's best/quickest way to accomplish what I'm doing. Any suggestions? Should I just marry her legally on this trip? I'm open to suggestions. Please help me.