HELP!! Lawyer confusing us. First EAD. 485 pending. Are prev. H1B prev. employ. docs?

pmk26

Registered Users (C)
Greetings friends,
Well... applied I-485, receipt dt: 7/30/2007. Company won't do H1-B so have to do EAD self. Lawyer send us filed forms for signing. On my(principal applicant), lawyer has selected 'Renewal of my permission to accept employment' and in question 11, selected 'Yes' and has listed all the offices and dates the H1Bs were granted.

I think this form is only for EAD and they are not interested in prev. H1B so I should be selecting 'Permission to accept employment' and qt 11 should be 'No'. Anybody in my situation got EAD with the above choices? I am planning on calling the 800 number for help with these questions but I don't think they are qualified/understand anything at all because they give different answers every time they are called!!

thank you,
pmk26

You're right. H1B information is not relevant to I-765. Check the box "Permission To Accept Employment" unless you currently have an EAD. In question 11 you need to list information pertaining to previous EADs if any (Economic Hardship Permit or OPT, for example). My wife and I prepared the form like this and we already received the EADs in the mail so it should have been correct. By the way, we did consult immigration attorneys but we used them through our family legal service plan - www.legalserviceplans.info - and they were from a reputable law firm - Ross & Mathews. Actually, they gave us the above answers. If I were you I would definitely double check with them how your lawyer is filling out your applications. The legal plan costs only $16 per month and gives you unlimited consultations and documents review so it's worth having it. Good luck!

Thank you very much sgoranov. I am being paranoid here but confirming... so your answer to question 11 is No - correct?

The answer to Question 11 is "No" as long as you have not had any previous EADs such as OPT, Economic Hardship Permit, etc.
I, personally, checked "Yes" since I've had both OPT & Ec.Hardship EADs but I did not list any information pertaining to my H1Bs there.