Help:Joint Account

doc1974

Registered Users (C)
Hi,
I am on B2,married to USC,have a AOS intreview on Aug 15th at Garden city,NY.
My question is how important is it to have a joint bank account and how much balance do we need to have as me and my husband are both preparing for the exams and we are taking student loans and we both dont have a job.
We have a co sponser as my husband has not worked the whole year.

Married :Oct 2005
Filled :Dec 3rd
ND for I485,I765,I130:Dec 12th
EAD Approved :Jan 2006
Biometrics :June 5th
AOS Interview:Aug 15th 2006

doc1974 said:
Hi,
I am on B2,married to USC,have a AOS intreview on Aug 15th at Garden city,NY.
My question is how important is it to have a joint bank account and how much balance do we need to have as me and my husband are both preparing for the exams and we are taking student loans and we both dont have a job.
We have a co sponser as my husband has not worked the whole year.

Married :Oct 2005
Filled :Dec 3rd
ND for I485,I765,I130:Dec 12th
EAD Approved :Jan 2006
Biometrics :June 5th
AOS Interview:Aug 15th 2006

You are confusing several issues.

1. The financial requirement needs to be met, i.e. your sponsor or a joint sponsor needs to prove that they earn at least 25% above the poverty level(with exceptions to members of the military). You can be asked to prove this for the last 3 years of taxes. If your joint sponsor meets this requirement, then your application should be passed on this requirement, i.e. no problem.

2. A joint bank account is ONE OF MANY WAYS in which to prove a bona fide relationship. You do not need to have one as proof - you may use a joint lease/mortgage, joint insurance, photos, testimonials etc. etc. Generally one gathers as much as one can, but a joint bank account is not mandatory.

Further, if you do offer it as evidence, there is no required amount needed for the account. It could have $800 or $150 000 in it at the time of the statement, the point of using it as evidence is that you have comingled your finances. The amounts in your bank accounts, especially if you have a joint sponsor, is no business of USCIS.

Best wishes

Thank You,
I have a letter of support and a lot of other documents to prove that ours is a bonified marriage.I was wondering will it be a problem if i add my name to my husbands account now as the time period between opening the account and the interview is less than a month.I was not able to do this earlier bcos i just received my SSN.

doc1974 said:
... I was wondering will it be a problem if i add my name to my husbands account now as the time period between opening the account and the interview is less than a month.I was not able to do this earlier bcos i just received my SSN.

USCIS knows about things like this. Add your name to that account now. Bring a copy of any papers you can get for that joint account to the interview and you'll be fine. The more proof you have the better.