Help!!! job title and job description

Nortel

HI Guys:

I am in danger of being laid off by my GC sponsor NORTEL. My I-485 has been filed for more than one year so I know I can change job as long as I am still working in the same or similar field. However, I am confused my job description if I am seeking new employment.

For convenience, my job title is software engineer and my job description is (copied from LC): Research, analyze, design, develop, test, implement, and document call processing software applications for use with digital telecommunication switch equipment. Develop software applications using high-level software languages. Test software applications to ensure accurate coding. Document final software programs and develop user instructions and software and hardware requirements. Provide technical software support to other design groups.

My question is:

1) based on th ejob description, do I have to work in the telecom industry in order to satify INS's same or similar field requirements ? Considering the current situation in the telecom industry, there is no way that i can find a job in that field. In other words, can I do software development in other indutsyr such as biotech/pharmaceutical or bank ?

2) Right now I am doing software development. Suppose the job title of my next job changes to sftware QA/QC, is this going to cause any trouble during RFE or interviewing ?

Thanks in advance !

1. No. Industry can be argued away.
2. Yep. Job responsibilities have to match as much as possible. If you get a RFE or interview you should use a lawyer and maybe if there are reasonable overlaps between the 2 descriptions you stand a chance.
It is also hoped that INS might explain their stand about similar job in their upcoming regulations. Till then there is nothin you can do to keep speculating...