Help in evaluating credentials for NIW

yesven

Registered Users (C)
Hello all: Would like some help in evaluating my credentials to see if I have a shot at NIW. I’m a postdoc, and my employer has no mechanism for sponsoring me; hence contemplating doing it myself. My research interest and my present (and past) projects are for the electric vehicle market. I presently work on the Freedom Car project for the DOE (that’s the plan announced in January by the Bush Administration for developing technologies for independence from foreign oil). I hope the “independence from foreign oil” theme would help my case considering that it is in the national interest. Below are my credentials.

-PhD in 2000 (chemical engr) in energy storage devices (batteries, capacitors and fuel cells) for electric/hybrid electric vehicles from a school that has a center in this field.
-First post-doc for a year and a half at a school that also has a center in this field.
-Now on second post doc, working in a DOE national lab (sitting in a top 3 Univ.). My boss is THE topmost researcher/academician in my field and is a member of the NAE.
-8 first author papers, 5 co-author, 4 conference proceedings, and one invited article (coauthor) in a business magazine. 9 of the papers in the top journal in the field.
-I’m a reviewer for the top journal in my field and have been invited to write reports/technical highlights by the journal.
-One major award from the top society in my field (one student is selected from among, probably, thousands around the world). Another award from the PhD school.
- Can get letters from National labs, academic institutions, industry, and one (maybe two) from outside the country from people who only know me through my research.
- Have worked for projects for the DOE, DOD and the CIA (I can get the CIA person to give me a letter)
-32 citations based on Science Citation Index for all papers combined (25 for one, rest…)

What are my chances?
Also, if the employer does not sponsor my visa, then is NIW my only option or is there some other route?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Also look into EB-1 Alien of Extraordinary Ability. Bundle up all the evidence into your reference letters, file for both, and you should get at least one of them approved. The key is in the letters. The INS reviewer needs to be convinced that this project is in the National Interest. This is done via the letters. If experts are telling him/her that your work is extraordinary and in the national interest, then you stand a good chance. Many people have done these without an attorney. I did not choose that route and considered my legal fees money well spent. YMMV.

Brian

Thanks Brian. I was actually thinking more in the lines of Extraordinary ability but somehow seemed to have NIW all over my message now that I see it. I'm a little shaky on this, but is it correct to say that both categories do not need me to have an employer? And can I change jobs in either of them during the process? And is one of them easier than the other? And how much are the legal fees (approx)?
Finally, are my credentials enough or should I wait till maybe I get more papers etc?

Thanks

Venkat

Originally posted by yesven
Thanks Brian. I was actually thinking more in the lines of Extraordinary ability but somehow seemed to have NIW all over my message now that I see it. I'm a little shaky on this, but is it correct to say that both categories do not need me to have an employer? And can I change jobs in either of them during the process? And is one of them easier than the other? And how much are the legal fees (approx)?
Finally, are my credentials enough or should I wait till maybe I get more papers etc?

Thanks

Venkat

You are correct in that self petitions do not require an employer to sponsor you. It is a good idea to be employed, though, in the area for which you claim to be extraordianry in.

Is one easier? I suspect EA is easier than NIW, but both are difficult. Typical legal fees will be in the $4-6000 range depending on the services provided and reputation of the attorney.

Your credentials look OK, but the *key* is the letters.

Brian

Originally posted by yesven
Thanks. I really appreciate your help. Any suggestions for good lawyers?

Venkat

Send me your E-mail address through the private message system, since you have indicated that you do not wish to receive private messages. I'll give you name of the attorney I used to (sucessfully) petition myself.

Brian

Last edited by a moderator: