HELP! iead question

02045waiting

Registered Users (C)
My EAD renewal notice date is 5/8/03 and my current EAD will expire on 6/13/03. So can I apply for IEAD on August 8? What do I need to bring? My lawyer's office told me that i can work as long as i have the notice receipt date although looking at the thread that's not correct. Wish I found this forum earlier :( My 485 notice date is 11/20/01...

Originally posted by 02045waiting
My EAD renewal notice date is 5/8/03 and my current EAD will expire on 6/13/03. So can I apply for IEAD on August 8? What do I need to bring? My lawyer's office told me that i can work as long as i have the notice receipt date although looking at the thread that's not correct. Wish I found this forum earlier :( My 485 notice date is 11/20/01...

Are U right ??

EAD expires on 6/13 and U want to apply in August ???

If these dates are incorrect :
and If U have time to apply

Go to BCIS web site and see for i-765
thats all ....Very simple
U have to have unexpired EAD to work.

You can get the iEAD 90 days after the receipt date. My husband and I got ours by this way. I don't think you can work by just using the receipt. My lawyer told me the same thing as your lawyer did. But my company's HR said it was not legal to do that and I had to have a valid card to work. They wanted to see the card not the receipt. I think you should not take the risk. EAD is diffrent from the H-1b transferring, which allows you to work just by using the receipt.

Good luck and consult with your lawyer or HR.

Under normal curcumstances -

You can get an iEAD 90 days after RD(not ND) of your EAD application. Assuming the dates you have mentioned are correct - then 08/09/2003 you can go to your local INS office with the following -
- new I765 form filled out for each applicant
- copy of your receipt notice for EAD application
- original expiring EAD card
- copy of your I-485 receipt notice
- copy of your approved I-140 notice
- copy of marriage certificate (if you are also applying for your spouse as well).
The process is fairly simple and takes about 2-3 hours if everything is in order and you get there early enough, however it is safe to block out half the day atleast for this activity.

If you are currently working on an EAD and do not have any other work permit (eg - H1) then you better get some good advice, since you cannot work once your EAD expires on 06/13/2003. It is illegal to do so and I do not wish to scare you but if INS determines that an applicant has worked illegally then it is grounds for automatic denial of GC approval.

You can try to go to the local INS office to get an iEAD before your current EAD expires and tell them that your EAD expires before 90 days are complete and whether can they issue a new iEAD.

Also count 90 days from your RD not ND. I got my iEAD on Thursday last - my renewal application has a RD of Feb '03 and ND of Apr '03. I counted 90 days from RD and on the 91st day got my iEAD at San Jose local.

Good luck.

superlucky_1,

thanks for the info... i'm not taking the risk... what did you bring with you when you apply for the interim ead? i will be going to the LA office any tips...

thanks again.

GCDreamz,

thanks for the info... i'll have the company put me on leave without pay when my ead expires and try also my luck if i can get an iead before the 90 days is up.

one more question... i'm married but my husband is a permanent resident and actually have 2 us citizen kids. do i still need to bring a copy of marriage certificate?

passport is also needed

Other than the documents mentions above, you will need to bring your passport also.

Is your AOS application employment based or family based?

If it is employment based and you are the primary applicant and are not filing for an EAD for your spouse then you do not need your marriage certificate.

However, if your app is family based and you are the beneficiary of your spouses resident status then you will need your marriage certificate, to prove that you are married to the resident, based on whose status, you are filing for residency.

I hope I have not confused you - because after typing this - I am confused. :confused:

BTW - I apologize for not mentioning the passport in my list above - my boo-boo :eek: - thanks palincal for pointing it out. :)

Apply iEAD my wife's behalf?

I am planning to apply iEAD for my wife at the local SFO office. Do you know if she needs to personally come to the office, or can I apply and get iEAD on her behalf. Assuming I take all the documents and get the application pre-signed with her.

Thanks.

-acreddy

EAD RD: 1/21/03

She needs to be there personally - since they will take her picture, signature and finger print for the iEAD card.

Thanks GCDreamz.

How about the application fee? Is there any fee for iEAD or do we have to pay the $120 fee again for the iEAD also; as we already did once with the original.

Wont be surprsed if the answer is 'yes' after reading this comment in the faq ;)

Do I need to pay for iEAD?
Do I need to pay for iEAD? Technically No. But there have been cases where the officer asked for $$s. Sane advice, if the INS officer asks you to take your pants down, do it. Same goes for giving him 100$, don't argue. Those people are frustrated government officers with no future and no life whatsoever, don't make their life harder, or they'll make yours.

02045waiting,

I have been to the LA office recently fro my IEAD, plan on going real early, may be like 2 or 3:00Am in the morning. They asked us for 765 application and 140 approval. Also, plan on standing in long lines :mad:

We went to L.A. district office to get our iEAD, too. You have to be there early since they only issue limited number for the iEAD. We arrived there about 3am and they approved our request 2:15pm. Unfortunately, they didn't issued the card same day and asked us to come back the following business day.

Since our I-485 is employment based, they didn't ask for the marriage certificate. What they need was the original I-765 receipt and the original I-140 approval notice, plus a newly filled I-765 application form. But for your sake, you would better to take all the doc. you have because who knows when they are going to change their mind to require some different Doc. from time to time.

Good luck.