Help -- How long for "Follow to join" CP case?

hlin4

Registered Users (C)
Hi All,
Now I am facing a choice, hoping you guys can make my idea clearer.
I am in concurrent filing I-140/I1485 in Texas this April, and I plan to get married with my girlfriend who is studying in Canada now (she has no Canada GreenCard, only studying there).
If we get married, I can submit I-485 case for her, but my lawyer told me probably our cases will be delayed! (how long? any idea? But we can get GreenCard at the same time.) My lawyer told me I can do "follow to join, CP" case for her, that means, get married first, then after my case is approved, then submit her CP case.
Generally speaking, how long this will take for her to get her GC by "following to join"?
Great need you guys' suggestion before I can do my decision!
Thanks a lot!

Hai

hi.....i am in the process of completing follow to join for my wife. teh process has taken us almost 2 years. we were lucky that we files 824 early as currently there is a HUGE lag.

Personally, I would NOT recommend follow to join.

if you have any questions, please feel free.

Hi parora,
Thanks a lot for your relpy.
Could you answer several questions for me?
1. Could you simply tell me the process for "Follow to Join"? (My girlfriend and I are from China, and we will get married this Nov)
2. After we get married this Nov, may I apply "Follow to Join" for her? Or I cannot do that until my GC is approved?
3. could you tell a little more about your case? (My case: Labor Substitution, TSC, I/140 (Pending) -- RD Mar/11/2003, I-485/EAD/AP -- RD Apr/25/2003, got EAD and AP, FingerPrint was done this Jun).
4. According to your understanding, you think I need submit her I-485 case for her after we get married, do you have any idea that it wil delay the cases of both of us?

I greatly appreciate your help!

Hai from NJ

In my opinioin (and I am not a lawyer or an expert by amy means) why dont you have her come here on a visa and then add her name to your file.

I could not have my wife come to US as she had the 212(e) clause on her last visit.

My suggestion, would be to get married, get her a visa to come to US and then file her AOS. This was she will get GC with you and you avoid Follow to join.

otherwise process ofr follow-to-join
1) during your interview tell the officer that you are married. They will add your spouse's name to your file
2) you file I824 "action on an approved petition". This is SLOW. your file will be transfered to the embassy that you specify.
3) your spose goes for CP.

the process is simple...but is taking a LONG LONG time.

hope this helps

Hi Parora,
I already got married last week.
And she is in Vancouver, Canada now, and will try to get H-4 next month.
You said the best way is to file her AOS, what do you mean AOS? And Can I do that for her avoid letting her fly to US.
Thanks a lot.

Hai