Help - Got RFE asking for mom's birth certificate

WhyThisDelay

Registered Users (C)
Just got mail from USCIS asking us to "Submit a copy of applicant's foreign birth certificate issued by the appropriate civil authority".

Well - my mom does not really have a birth certificate - in 1950s, nobody really bothered about birth certificates.

My question is - what document can i submit to establish her birth? Will her 10th standard graduation certificate (which has her date of birth) suffice? or Will 2 affidavits by her elder brothers/susters suffice?

Any suggestions, pointers are greatly appreciated. I want to reply this rfe asap.

(About the application - i had filed for 2nd and 3rd stage combined, when my mom came here to visit me about 2 months ago).

If a birth certificate is not available, a letter is required from appropriate civil authority (responsible for registering births) stating that a search was made for birth records for the period around the DOB but a birth record of the applicant is not available.

This letter should be submitted ot USCIS along with 2 affidavits from close relatives (prefarably parents or olde siblings). Any additional documents like school records, etc. are also helpful if they were issued long time ago.

Which country was she born in?

India.

Is it a must to get the non-availability certificate from municipal authorities? She was born in 1956 in a small village, and it's painful (if possible at all) to get the certificate. Will high school diploma with birth date and/or 2 affidavits from close relatives without the non-availability certificate suffice?

one more question - how long do i have to reply to this RFE? Is it 30 days?

Replies/Insights appreciated.

India.

Is it a must to get the non-availability certificate from municipal authorities? She was born in 1956 in a small village, and it's painful (if possible at all) to get the certificate. Will high school diploma with birth date and/or 2 affidavits from close relatives without the non-availability certificate suffice?

one more question - how long do i have to reply to this RFE? Is it 30 days?

Replies/Insights appreciated.

Certificate of non availability is a must.

Why did you not research it before filing the paperwork?

The time to respond to RFE should be mentioned on the RFE letter. What documents do you have on hand?