Help - Filing 485 for a spouse on J-1 waiver job

phdmd

Registered Users (C)
Hi All,
My I-140 is approved and my PD is current to file I-485. My spouse was on J-1 visa that was subject to 2-year HRR. We got a waiver and my spouse is working as a physician in an underserved area. In the waiver approval notice (I-612), it was written that the beneficiary can not file an Immigrant petition (I-140) or AOS (I-485) until they complete their 3-year commitment in the underserved area. I gathered that a spouse can file I-485 as a derivative before the primary applicant\'s 485 petition is approved. My question is this. If my I-485 gets approved in 2 years and my spouse\'s three year commitment is not over by then, will my spouse be eligible for derivative status later on? My spouse\'s name was included in my I-140 also as the new restriction was not there at the time of my 140 filing. What other ways do you suggest I pursue to get my spouse a green card? I have a lawyer, but he will not do anything creative unless I gather info and push him to do that. I have heard about something called "Following to Join" and I don\'t know much about it. Could somebody throw some light on that topic? I hope I have not confused the people reading this posting. Thank you in advance for spending the time to read and responding.

No Title

Dear,

We are in the same situation. We talked to some lawyers, and we understand that as long as we were married before we file the I-485 the spouse would be able to join the principal at any time even after the I-485 is approved, using the benefit of following to join. From what we heard, your spouse would not have to wait any longer. My wife was not in my I-140, but we were told that as long as the spouse is included in the I-485, we should be fine.

No Title

Thank you very much, Luis. It definitely gives me more piece of mind for some time. Thanks again.