HELP...Embassy has not forwarded the Waiver letter

Raghu2k

Registered Users (C)
Hi Everyone

It has been close to two months since I received the NORI/waiver letter from the houston consulate (May 11). I have still not received any notification from the Indian Embassy in Washington DC about forwarding of the waiver letter to US Dept of State.

I am not able to contact anyone in the Indian Embassy by phone so far. I have tried leaving voice messages but no one gets back to me. Does anyone has experience contacting the Indian embassy and suggest a contact person to approach?

I am worried since my J1 is expiring this August.

Thanks for the help..

Hi, I had a J1 & now on H4 trying to get a J1 wavier. i have got the 4 sets of form & affadivit attested from indian consulate.I am a physician of Indian origin, can you please help and tell whats the format of NORI ( if at all there is one) and whether only those forms & affadivit have to be attested by said 3 organisations in India? Your help will be really appreciated as i am very clueless. thanks much.

Hi, I had a J1 & now on H4 trying to get a J1 wavier. i have got the 4 sets of form & affadivit attested from indian consulate.I am a physician of Indian origin, can you please help and tell whats the format of NORI ( if at all there is one) and whether only those forms & affadivit have to be attested by said 3 organisations in India? Your help will be really appreciated as i am very clueless. thanks much.

Your post is inappropriate in this thread as raghu is discussing about different India.

Reg your query - you need send both attested affidavits and statement to three indian agencies in India - 1. Min of Health, Delhi if you are physician or MHRD, 2. Home dept of of your state govt and 3- passport office where you got passport.

There is no standard format for NORI cerificate - The Indian agencies simply say you are under NORI in the subject line of letter. (yes it is single line only). Normally they will send a copy besides forwarding it to the respective Indian Consulate in USA thro Min External Affairs, New Delhi. It might take hell of time to receive. If you want to speed up you can ask someone to go that office,get a copy of it and fax it to you.

Upon receiving all clearances from above three agencies in India, then you apply to Indian Consulate/Embassy (depends on where u live in USA) to get NOC/NORI letter. All Indian consulates have standard format of photocopied form - they just fill in your name, passport number, mention DOS waiver No. and handover it to you same day if you visit consulate. The consulate will forward a copy to Indian Embassy, Washington that forwards the final letter to DOS. U will always get a copy of NOC/NORI from either Indian consulate or embassy.

You should also visit DOS J- waiver website and fill in waiver application, get case Number and forward all documents to DOS office. Dont forget to submit the bar code page to Indian consulate when you request for a NOC/NORI after obtaining clearances from India.

Hope this helps.

good luck

Hi Everyone

It has been close to two months since I received the NORI/waiver letter from the houston consulate (May 11). I have still not received any notification from the Indian Embassy in Washington DC about forwarding of the waiver letter to US Dept of State.

I am not able to contact anyone in the Indian Embassy by phone so far. I have tried leaving voice messages but no one gets back to me. Does anyone has experience contacting the Indian embassy and suggest a contact person to approach?

I am worried since my J1 is expiring this August.

Thanks for the help..

Sorry to hear this. Recently I got a NOC from CGI- chicago. They told me that Indian embassy never receive their letter - bit surprising. I will wait for for 10 days and if i dont hear any from them, I plan to send NOC (i got it from CGI-Chicago and bar code page to Indian Embassy.

Did you send your CGI-houston NOC to washington. Try to fax it to them and call in the evening hours.

Keep us posted developments

lakksh: Thanks for the reply.

How did you know that the embassy never received the letter. I am worried this is the case for me...Can you please pass me the contact number that you used?

Hi, How did you change status from J1 to H4 without getting the waiver first?:confused:

lakksh: Thanks for the reply.

How did you know that the embassy never received the letter. I am worried this is the case for me...Can you please pass me the contact number that you used?

RIght now I do not know whether embassy received mine (NORI was issued by CGI-Chicago last friday). But I plan to send a copy of that NORI to embassy incase if they dont receive or overlook the one they receive from consulate. I have never called embassy and do not have number to provide you. May be my turn is likely in few weeks if i donr hear from them.

Reg your case. Did you check with DOS to see if they have received NOC from embassy. If not, Send a FAX to Embassy besides sending a copy of ur NORI and a bard code page...

good lukk

lakksh:

The DOS have not received the NOC, I checked the website (they take a while to update it, so I am not sure). I sent my NOC to the embassy as you mentioned. I will fax them a copy this week. Lets see what happens.

Please keep me posted of the status of your NOC. Hope things happen faster for you.

lakksh:

The DOS have not received the NOC, I checked the website (they take a while to update it, so I am not sure). I sent my NOC to the embassy as you mentioned. I will fax them a copy this week. Lets see what happens.

Please keep me posted of the status of your NOC. Hope things happen faster for you.

Thanks Raghu for ur wish.

Did you get any response from Embassy. Try calling them in the afternoon.

Just as I thought...I got one call through finally. The embassy says it never received the waiver certificate. They told me to ask the consulate to forward it again. after two months...very frustrating....

Just as I thought...I got one call through finally. The embassy says it never received the waiver certificate. They told me to ask the consulate to forward it again. after two months...very frustrating....

Thats bad. Did you speak to anyone at Consulate -Houston? Did you ever sent (two months ago) the NORI certificate issued by the consulate to Embassy?

Even When I was at chicago consulate - the lady (who does J-1 waiver) told me that embassy never used to receive their letter. its surprising /shocking to hear that coz the letter originates from indian consulate addressed to embassy....

Anyway, I have sent a fax to consulate - asking them to forward NORI to embassy and also sent a fax/mailed the photocopy of that NORI to embassy to issue me a NOC. I dont think they will issue me a NOC based on my letter instead they would to get NORI from consulate.

Good luck for your case and hope it will be processed soon. keep updating your status

The latest update is that my new NORI letter from consulate was recieved and is being forwarded to the DoS now. I got the letter today.

Another question: My J1 visa is expiring end of August. Does anyone know if I can apply for H1B visa once I get recommendation from DoS, i.e. Can I include a letter asking USCIS to process H1B and waiver simultaneously?? (I work at a university) ...ok I got the answer from this thread ... http://boards.immigration.com/showthread.php?t=255684

Last edited by a moderator: