Help: did not receive I-140 official letter more than 30 days after approval

kleinehase

Registered Users (C)
I got automatic email from USCIS saying that my I-140 is approved on 8/1. But now more than 30 days have passed and neither my lawyer or I have received official hard copy of the approval letter yet. I am pretty sure my address on the application form is correct. Did anybody meet this problem before?

Do we need the official letter for I485 filing? Can we use the print out from the case status website? Will there be any trouble later on? Any help is appreciated.

Yes, you do have to have your I-140 approval notice (or what you refer to as "official letter") to file I-485. You could conceivably file semi-concurrently, just using your I-140 filing receipt, but why do that when I-140 is already approved. I'd suggest calling National Customer Service Center at (800) 375-5283 to try to track your approval notice down.

Last edited by a moderator:
civ2ru, thanks for your reply.
I talked to my lawyer, and he said when he called the USCIS Hotline (the 1800 number you referred to), he was told that in order to get a copy of the approval notice, we need to pay $200 to file a I-824. My lawyer thinks it is not necessary for us to pay $200 to get a copy of the approval notice. When it is time to file 485, we can just include the receipt and the print out of the approval from USCIS's website.

Does anyone have similar experience, and will there be any problem of not actually getting a hard copy of the approval notice? Any feedback is appreciated.

My situation is even weird.

kleinehase said:
civ2ru, thanks for your reply.
I talked to my lawyer, and he said when he called the USCIS Hotline (the 1800 number you referred to), he was told that in order to get a copy of the approval notice, we need to pay $200 to file a I-824. My lawyer thinks it is not necessary for us to pay $200 to get a copy of the approval notice. When it is time to file 485, we can just include the receipt and the print out of the approval from USCIS's website.

Does anyone have similar experience, and will there be any problem of not actually getting a hard copy of the approval notice? Any feedback is appreciated.

Hi kleinehase, my case is even weird. my 140 is still pending online but on 8/24 my 485 is been approved! i also got 485 notice in mail. i've been reading this forum and many weird things happened and different people has different case :( my lawyer told me to wait for the physical card first....