Help : Can I obtain a J1 if I already have a B1?

Cecmeg

Hello all,

Here is my problem : I obtained a B1/B2 visa a few weeks ago to do a market study in the US for my French employer. I just quit my job and did not leave to the US with my B1 visa. I found another internship that requires a J1 visa. I haven't started the procedures for getting my J1 yet. My questions are : Can I get the J1 if I already have the B1 in my passport? If so, is the B1 automatically cancelled? Is there a problem to have both visas at the same time? If there is, how can I transfer my B1 to a J1?

Thank you so much for your help greatly appreciated !

Cecile

Note : I already have 2 J1 visas also in my passport, for my last 2 internships in the US.

No your B1 need not be canceled. You can apply for J1 without worry. A friend of mine has both B1/B2 and J1. Just remember to show your DS2019 and visa when you get into US on j1 so that your I-94 gets a D/S stamp.

You can have more than one US visas; however, make sure you use the right one to enter the US. If you used a wrong one, you will have to file for a change of status might take a really long time (could take 6 months).