• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Help - AOS 101 :)

ch3zc4k3

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

I'm new to this forum. First of all, I wanna say thank you all to those who have participated in this forum. It's very helpful. Recently, I got a letter from KCC indicating that I am among those who are selected for DV2007. My case# is 2007AS00006XXX. Since I already am in USA, I decided to do AOS instead of CP. I have read most of the threads about AOS, however, I am still confused. I have some questions and validations about the AOS process:

1. In order to do AOS, is it right by sending all the forms (DSP-122, DS-230 part I and II) to KCC and indicating "BCIS" on DSP-122 (bullet# 4), I am informing KCC that I inted to do AOS?

2. However, the letter mentions that I need to go to a local USCIS for the eligibility to do AOS. The letter also says that I need to bring "this" packet (I assume all enclosures I received from KCC) to USCIS. Do I really need to go to USCIS for just informing them that I want to do AOS? Will they give me some instructions etc? I thought that by indicating "BCIS" on DSP-122, KCC will notify somehow to USCIS that I will do AOS. Is it right?

3. What other events will I be expecting after sending my forms back to KCC? Will I get a letter from KCC, etc?

4. What are the next steps to do AOS then? My understanding is that I will send I485 with the required documents to USCIS 2-3 months prior to the month when my case# will be processed (based from old visa bulletins, around February-March). Do I need any other forms to file?

5. Does the choice of local USCIS matter? How will the choice of my local USCIS office know that I am among those who are selected when I send the I485 package?

Thank you so much for any reply or suggestion.

ch3zc4k3 said:
1. In order to do AOS, is it right by sending all the forms (DSP-122, DS-230 part I and II) to KCC and indicating "BCIS" on DSP-122 (bullet# 4), I am informing KCC that I inted to do AOS?
YES. Sending DSP-122 would be enough for AOS, however, sending them all wouldn't hurt (make sure to keep copies of everything you're sending).
2. However, the letter mentions that I need to go to a local USCIS for the eligibility to do AOS. The letter also says that I need to bring "this" packet (I assume all enclosures I received from KCC) to USCIS. Do I really need to go to USCIS for just informing them that I want to do AOS? Will they give me some instructions etc? I thought that by indicating "BCIS" on DSP-122, KCC will notify somehow to USCIS that I will do AOS. Is it right?
You need to go to a local USCIS office only if you need some info about your AOS (There is no guaranty they would provide that info!). I would suggest you to ask your questions here instead of visiting your DO.
3. What other events will I be expecting after sending my forms back to KCC? Will I get a letter from KCC, etc?
I am not sure if KCC sends you anything. We didn't get anything.
4. What are the next steps to do AOS then? My understanding is that I will send I485 with the required documents to USCIS 2-3 months prior to the month when my case# will be processed (based from old visa bulletins, around February-March). Do I need any other forms to file?
It's safer to wait until your number is current. You can guess based on previous year's bulettin, but you can't rely on it.
5. Does the choice of local USCIS matter? How will the choice of my local USCIS office know that I am among those who are selected when I send the I485 package?
KCC will transfer your case to your local office once they are notified. Also, I think you should include the NL with your application to adjust your status.

Hi there,
i'm a DV-2006 winner and my # is similar as yours(upper 6000). Let me first tell you, your # will not come up in Feb/March AS I THOUGHT MINE WOULD BE TOO. This year, it was very late. It came up in JUNE. You can't guess when your # will come up, because if you send your I-485 early, they might reject it. It's safer to wait 'till your # becomes current before you send anything.
If your have an option to do CP, better do it. From what i understand, it's faster, since your # is big. Others can confirm this or disagree! Better to ask though to make sure.
As for KCC, YES, they send you a confirmation letter that you plan to do AOS. All you need to send is DSP-122. That's what i did. If you call KCC, they'd tell you exactly what to do.
Lastly, you can't file AOS locally anymore. You'll need to send the forms to Chicago , print in bold on the envelope "DV-2007 WINNER" and they'll forward it to the proper department. You'll receive a confirmation letter that your application was received and is in process, then other letters will follow (like fingerprinting and biometrics appointment, interview appointment...etc.)

Thanks Anahit and Meemoo for the replies. I have read that people prefer CP to AOS because they don't wanna deal with USCIS. However, I can't go back home to do CP since my job contract expires next June although my H1B visa is still valid until 2008. How is your AOS process so far (Meemoo)? Any other people had problems with AOS process before?

Meemoo said:
Hi there,
As for KCC, YES, they send you a confirmation letter that you plan to do AOS.
Meemoo,
Do you remember how long after you sent DSP-122 you got the confirmation letter from KCC?
Thanks!

ch3zc4k3:
The process is not bad so far. We have the interview next month, waiting for security check... so we'll see during the interview if we were cleared or not. Good luck with yours.

Anahit:
the confirmation letter from KCC took about 5 days from the day i sent it to day i received it. It was very fast. Keep in mind that i actually sent it express mail, which i believed arrived the very next day. I also called a couple of days after i sent it to verify with them. They were able to tell me right away that it was put on their system that i was doing AOS.

Meemoo said:
ch3zc4k3:Anahit:
the confirmation letter from KCC took about 5 days from the day i sent it to day i received it. It was very fast. Keep in mind that i actually sent it express mail, which i believed arrived the very next day. I also called a couple of days after i sent it to verify with them. They were able to tell me right away that it was put on their system that i was doing AOS.
My brother-in-law's DSP-122 was sent more than a month ago. I tracked the mail on-line, and I know they received it. But, we did not get any confirmation letter from KCC.
Should I contact them?

I sent mine DSP 122 also in April 2006.I wrote to KCC if any kind of confirmation being sent that I'm doing AOS.They wrote me back DV 2007 will not start until Oct.2006 and they will mail confirmation letter in abt 10-12 weeks.

Anahit,

Jugnu786 could very well be correct.. wait 'till October and see what happens.

Good luck

My e-mail to KCC:

I have sent mine DS 122 only to KCC.It was delievred on 05/07/06 for
further Adjustment of Status processing with USCIS.Is there any type of
acknowledgement that I should expect from KCC about case file being updated
regarding Adjustment of Status with USCIS.

KCC Response:

Thank you for your inquiry.

Be advised that once KCC processes your request for Adjustment of Status, you will receive a letter in the mail. As the 2007 program does not begin until October 1st, it will be at least 10-12 weeks before you receive any mail.

Jugnu786 said:
My e-mail to KCC:

I have sent mine DS 122 only to KCC.It was delievred on 05/07/06 for
further Adjustment of Status processing with USCIS.Is there any type of
acknowledgement that I should expect from KCC about case file being updated
regarding Adjustment of Status with USCIS.

KCC Response:

Thank you for your inquiry.

Be advised that once KCC processes your request for Adjustment of Status, you will receive a letter in the mail. As the 2007 program does not begin until October 1st, it will be at least 10-12 weeks before you receive any mail.
I was about to e-mail them when I saw your inputs.
Thanks!

Aos 101

For now:

1. Read your NL very carefully.
2. As intructed in NL send all forms back to KCC . Make copies of everything.
2. You may call the USCIS helpline to find out about eligibility, all it means is that your I-94 should be valid. You should be in status at the time of filing for AOS (do your calculations)
3. At some point as instructed in your NL you will need to send the DV fee to the Dept. of State. You will receive a receipt within 7-10 days. Make a copy and keep original in a safe place, you will need it at your interview or when filing for AOS.

KCC will send you a letter of acknowledgement in about 6 weeks from sending the DS forms.

IMPORTANT: think carefully about choosing AOS, you have a high number, you will have an interview, yet the risk of getting stuck in the background check labyrinth or in other not uncommon beaurocratical dead-ends is HIGH. This could cost you your GC. (I'm speaking from direct experience and like many I thought it wouldn't happen to me)

Read previous posts related to security checks.

How to file I-485...will follow.

Good luck

Barbara

Hi everyone,
I posted a question about a month or two ago and i received only one reply and i am grateful for that reply but after speaking with a second lawyer who said it can't be done, i got confused again. My question was, it is possible to have two AOS pending at the same time (same year, same state and city), one for employment (nursing) and the other for DV 2007.I called USCIS twice and i got different answers, one said YES and the other said NO. I want to know if there can be any complications. If there are people with more of such experiences, i would appreciate it if they can come out and help me out because as we all the know "the experienced are the best teachers". Thanks

Hi again,

I have some follow-up questions or concerns about AOS. I sent my DSP forms back to KCC almost 3 months ago and I haven't received any conformation letter from them (My case# is 2007AS00006XXX). I called KCC and they told me to wait couple more weeks since they have a lot of mails to process. Should I be worried considering that it's been 3 months? Am I expecting a letter back from them? I read from the forums that some people already got their AOS conformation letters.

Thanks.

ch3zc4k3 said:
Hi again,

I have some follow-up questions or concerns about AOS. I sent my DSP forms back to KCC almost 3 months ago and I haven't received any conformation letter from them (My case# is 2007AS00006XXX). I called KCC and they told me to wait couple more weeks since they have a lot of mails to process. Should I be worried considering that it's been 3 months? Am I expecting a letter back from them? I read from the forums that some people already got their AOS conformation letters.

Thanks.

As far as I know, they might send that letter just before your number becomes current on the visa bulletin.. But just in case, you might want to confirm it with them...

ch3zc4k3 said:
Hi again,

Thanks.

Neither I or my lawyer received anything from KCC after he submitted DSP forms to them. I didnt have any problems during my adjustment process. You should just call them to check if they received your DSP forms (this is what my lawyer did).

Last edited by a moderator:
Whether you get your confirmation letter back or not does not really matter. It's not a document you need to use. They know you are doing AOS and since you are not due to file in October you can relax. Just keep an eye on them and call them back in a couple of weeks to make sure they've got you in the system, your forms and all. You'll get your letter eventually.

Good luck

Barbara

Hi all,

Thanks for the response. I have more questions about the diversity visa fee and the medical exam. Do I send this fee ($375 or ?) to the the department of state? Can I pay with a personal check (I have a US checking account) ? Also, I already did the medical exam. Is this too early considering my case number is high (AS000006xxx)?

Thanks again.

ch3zc4k3 said:
Hi all,

Thanks for the response. I have more questions about the diversity visa fee and the medical exam. Do I send this fee ($375 or ?) to the the department of state? Can I pay with a personal check (I have a US checking account) ? Also, I already did the medical exam. Is this too early considering my case number is high (AS000006xxx)?

Thanks again.

Yes, you need to send the fee to the department of state. Make sure you follow the instructions that came on your package, because you have to send them a form and a stamped envelope. Save the return receipt very safely because you will need it for the interview.

You cannot use personal checks. Only US postal money order and certified checks.

For the medical exams, I think they are only valid for a year, so depending on your interview date they might be expired. But I am not 100% sure.