help adjusting status

lindakim

Registered Users (C)
I entered US on an M-1 visa. My i-94 departure card expired on March 27, 2007. I got married to a US citizen before that. I am filing for adjusting status. I am having trouble filing the i-864 affidavit of support. My husband does not meet the income

requirements (He is still a student) and has not filed for recent tax year because his income was too low and he is currently unemployed. He wrote a letter stating the reason.
He asked a friend to be a joint sponsor. However, His friend(USC) is already a petitioning sponsor for his wife and

they are going through getting his wife permanent residency as well. His wife stayed on a US visa waiver program however her stay expired. I am

aware that she could be deported since you are not allowed to stay over passed 90 days. They are going to see a US immigration official for an interview in June.

My following questions are :

1. If my husband's friend joint sponsors for me would it affect my application in any way?
2. What income requirement does my husband's friend(joint sponsor) have to meet? ($21,462=poverty guidline of 3

household size?)
3. How does husband's friend(joint sponsor) file for taxes ?
4. Would husban'ds friend (joint sponsor) include me as a dependent in his tax forms?
5. What are my husband's friend's(joint sponsor) specific obligations and requirements?
5. If my husband meets the income requirements within the next year, can my joint sponsor relinquish his obligations from
sponsoring me?
6. Would I also need to file an I-485a supplemental form since my i-94 expired on March 27,2007?(I HOPE NOT PLEASE SAY NO) :confused:

Last edited by a moderator:
i can answer your question about the joint sponser
if the joint sponser is sponsring somebody else it doesnt affect you in any case, they only need his income to meet the requirment.
also he should not claim you as dependant in his income tax.
all you need from your joint sponsor is to fill in the affadiavt form just if his income meets the ruiquired income.

I sponsered myself in my green card case(marriage case)
my uncle sponsered me first when i applied back on march 2005, then when i went to the immigration last month to check why my case was delayed they asked me to submist (utility bills, bank account, pictures for me and my wife,...) then they sent me a letter stating that i need the last 2 yrs of my uncle's income tax or i could sponsor myself since my income was good enough.
so i think you can sponsor yourself if you filed income tax before with enough income to cover the required poverty line

i wish i was clear