heed help on parents I 94 extension

sd1963

Registered Users (C)
hi Guys,

First my apology for posting a non-485 topic. But I guess this is the best place to get my answer.

My in-laws(from India) entered US on B1 I discovered that they are granted only 3 months stay on I –94(in spite of saying that they want to stay here for six months). Please help me what do I have to do to extend their stay for three more months.

What I gathered I have to file
I-539 with explanation why extension is required and with original I-94.

Any suggestion from experienced guys. I know there must be so many in this forum. Any help is greatly appreciated. Also any idea how much time it takes. Is there any way to check status? I am in NY.

Again sorry for off-topic question. I hope not to get a lot of bashing being a first time offender :)

I applied for my MIL and got the approval after 4 months. we applied in Mid Nov 2003 and got the approval in mid-march. We applied with the copy of I-94 and copy of return ticket. It is advisable to apply 45 days before I-94 expiry. Once you get the receipt, you can check the status on USCIS.gov site and click on case status online. (same way you check for your 485 status)

Even she got stamped for 3 months earlier and we asked for extension for 3 more months.

thanks just

so if it takes 4 months and I apply 45 days before (or 60 days before) expiry and dont get approval in 45 days, is it ok to stay with the receipt . a bit confused. what if it gets denied for soem unknown reason.

This is what I understood after researching on this issue.

To be in status, you need to have the receipt of I-539 before expiry of I-94. Once you have the receipt notice you are in status. If for some reason you get denied, one has to leave the country at the earliest possible.

45 days is reasonable time. If you apply too much in advance then INS will think that you came to the country with the intentions of staying for longer time. Just remember to send by certified mail and you can use personal check to pay for $140 fees. Later you can find the LIN number from cleared check in case receipt notice is lost.

Hope it helps.