Hearing with a Citizenship Judge

john_angel

I am a canadian citizen. My wife applied for the canadian citizenship in december 2003. She took the exam in January 2005. She passed the test but the immigration agent told her that he was not convinced of her residency in Canada and asked her to complete a questionnaire and send tons of documents. The agent told her that after receiving the documents, she will be asked to attend a hearing with a citizenship judge who will make the final decision. Any one has a similar experience, Do you know how the process will unfold? Will she also have to meet the same "very mean" agent or just the judge? Are the judges severe? Do they also ask a lot of questions and can they ask for more documents? Does the judge make a decision on the spot? The problem is that I lived outside Canada for the last 4 years but my wife stayed in Canada specifically for the sake of the citizenship purpose. She has been living with a member of our family with no tenancy agreement (bail) and she has been unemployed so no tax filing.

Your help is greatly apperciated

Last edited by a moderator:
If she has no tenancy agreement and has never filed for tax returns, How did she survive . U mean she lived apart from you for 3 years without doing anything except being at home at a relatives place. I am sorry but I don't buy it .

There is something you are not telling us and even if this is the truth , she will have a hard time convincing the judge about her residency in my view.

AFAIK Judges will ask a lot of questions and want a lot of documents and may also refuse citizenship to her if they feel she has not completed her residency. The citizenship judges analyze applications everyday and they can easily find what is a lie and what is the truth.If she is refused ,this will flag her file for filing future citizenship too and if she has lied, she could be charged for perjury also. I personally know somebody whose PR was cancelled because they lied about their residency in Canada and filed for citizenship so I would be very careful about this.

no personal offence just my opinion ..

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I can buy the story. But you will have to convince the judge. If she has really stayed in Canada for 3 years you got nothing to worry about. She should have filed her taxes though. If she doesnt work doesnt mean she cant file taxes!
Does she have any medical records?
Does she have credit cards?
She must have a bank account. If you were supporting her, I bet you were sending her money through bank. So there must have been bank activity for 3 years.
Does she drive? Does she have a car? Does she have a license?
If you have at least one record even as little as grocery receipts for 3 years, you should be fine.

A clarification of your situation

Hey JohnAngel,

Just to clarify your situation, your wife completed 1095 days in Canada after becoming a Canadian PR, but she was still asked to see an immigration judge.

Did she present her passport to the immigration agent at the time of her exam? If yes, did it support all her "absences from Canada"? Or were there some absences that she did not mention in her citizenship application (but were recorded on her passport)?

Thanks