Health medical insurance

WaitingInSD

Folks,

My parents (70 and 65) are getting their green card soon. They currently reside overseas and I am hoping to have them come live in the states. One of the big issues that is concerning us at the moment is health/medical insurance for them.

Does anyone know what my options are for getting them health care? What options do we have and approximately how much does it cost for coverage?

Thanks
Sal

For their age, not many will offer them insurance. If you do find providers, premiums will be significant.

Does anyone know what my options are for getting them health care? What options do we have and approximately how much does it cost for coverage?

So far as I understand, It will cost you about 2000 dollars per month for both. There is a website about this issue, I forgot the name , but you can find by googling it.

I am in same boat, though I am still about 1 year away. Please let me know if you find any useful information.

There is a company that offers coverage for people in this situation. The coverage is limited with a low maximum payment but it is better than nothing. You need to expect to pay a significant amount out of pocket.

You state may have other options. In my state, the high risk pool might be an option, but the costs are age and gender dependent; when I looked closely several years ago the premiums could go as high a $4,000 per month per person for some categories.

Doctors in my city are very overworked. They take limited insurance plans and even people with well established insurance programs simply transferring within a clinic have very long waits (over 6 months) for initial appointments. Drug coverage may also be limited. In my household, the normal medical costs are dwarfed by the costs of drugs; if they use many drugs, need to consider the long term costs. You really need to look at more than just insurance in order to determine whether it is feasible for them to move. If they cannot get a doctor and prescriptions, having insurance won't help.

There is a company that offers coverage for people in this situation. The coverage is limited with a low maximum payment but it is better than nothing. You need to expect to pay a significant amount out of pocket.

You state may have other options. In my state, the high risk pool might be an option, but the costs are age and gender dependent; when I looked closely several years ago the premiums could go as high a $4,000 per month per person for some categories.

Doctors in my city are very overworked. They take limited insurance plans and even people with well established insurance programs simply transferring within a clinic have very long waits (over 6 months) for initial appointments. Drug coverage may also be limited. In my household, the normal medical costs are dwarfed by the costs of drugs; if they use many drugs, need to consider the long term costs. You really need to look at more than just insurance in order to determine whether it is feasible for them to move. If they cannot get a doctor and prescriptions, having insurance won't help.

Is either of them qualified and willing to work in a job that offers health insurance? Without that, their insurance will be astronomically expensive or simply unavailable.

They might be able to get a very limited insurance policy that would cover them if they suddenly end up in the hospital for a few days, and then you can take them back to their original country for further treatment after their condition has stabilized.

Last edited by a moderator: