health care

McPheever

Registered Users (C)
I'm Canadian and down here in the US, my bf a USC and I are going to get married soon then he'll apply for my Green Card. But today I found out that I'm pregnant. Does anyone know how I can go about getting Health Coverage??? I have Health Card from my province but I don't think it'll cover it.

If your boyfriend is working and has health benefits, he can add you as his dependent. Thats the best option.
Some companies allow significant others/domestic partners to be added, even though they are not married. That would be a cheaper option.

You can get insurance on your own from any insurance company, but the premiums may be high.

Some states do have low income programs, that you could qualify for, but make sure you do not have to be a PR or citizen for it. Some states also have clinics, that charge very minimum or free for walkin services. So, at least you could get some basic care. You should not apply to get any benefit from US government such as Medicaid because when the time comes to fill out for GC paperwork and interview, you may have to prove that you were not dependent on US govt.

you can't apply for any state assistanse, since your husband will sign an affidavit of support for you. The best way for you to get insurance is to be a dependent on his insurance from work. I have been my hubby's dependent for three years now, first - because I was not eligible for it myself (a contractor), then because his was a lot better than my employer's, and now I have finally got a good insurance of my own through my employer (and still have his).

Most of the privately bought insurances will not cover your pregnancy as a preexisting condition, but insurance through an employer will have to, because it operates by different rules (state mandated).