Headaches if you file your i-140 and i-485 to different INS Service Centers

Gotsc

Registered Users (C)
Your i-485 Service Center will request your i-140 documents from your i-140 Service Center if you file your i-140 and i-485 to different
INS service centers, and thus will cost you a lot of time (several months at least)!! Any Comments?

Gotsc, Not true at all...

I did my I140 at TSC and my I485 was approved at CSC recently. My case was neither faster nor slower than other July RD folks who did both at CSC. Sure, it takes some time for your A-File to travel from the I140 approving center to the I485 adjudicating center. But, this A-File is requested by the I485 center at the time of data entry. By the time you get your FP notice, finish your FP, Background check is complete and your case is ready to be assigned, the A-File would have made its way to the I485 processing center.
But, as I mentioned in my reply to an earlier identical post/thread, there is that extra loop which makes it possible for the case to fall thru the cracks. Having said that I would like to add that the INS Fileroom personnel have enough checks and balances to follow-up until your A-File is procured. My 2 cents.

Center Change and case approved

Hi all sept Waiter
My case is approved
I just checked my AVm Yesterday at around 10.30 PM and I can\'t believe the message. It is \'this case is approved\'
Approved for all my family memebers.
I just could not sleep well. Got at 5.00 just to post the message
here are my detail
PD 09/99
LC and I 140 filed at ?SC
485 filed at CSC
RD 09/17/01
ND 09/27/02
AP,EAD approved during 12/01
FP done as per schedule 12/26
FP riveied and processing resumed 01/18/02
Approved on 03/19/02
Had troubles with employer made a decsion to change the employer by 04/01/02 and ready to take any risk. Meanwhile approved
Thank you all of you for the support and confidence that I generated from you
In the PCee list as \'achanta\'

center change...

Folks, my I140 was done at NSC and my I-485 is being processed at CSC. My AVM says FP collected on Jan 12th and still it\'s playing the same thing. Yesterday I didn\'t check what the AVM says but do you think I should ask my lawyer to ping INS. I am the second last one on the PCee\'s July list. No one in the WAC range yet got approvals... but waiting for GC also makes you extreme paranoid.

Did you enter A# in your i-485 application? You are one of the victims who filed i140 and i485 to d

The A# was blank in my application when I signed it.

Folks,
     My I140 was from VSC and AOS has been filled in CSC.
The A# was blank in my I485 application when I signed it. I donot know if the lawyer filled it up later on.
Is it to be left blank or filled in ?? If yes where do you get the A# from???

Regional service centers within California Service center

What is the A# ?
I see that there are lot of INS Centers in california say Sacramento,SanJose, San francisco and so on .When we file for I485 we send to the California Service Center in Laguna I think.Will they then be sent to one of these centers(Sacramento, San Jose etc). If so how do they do that, based on which county applicant lives?
Thanks,

reply to sw28 and Srikant

Yes you need to fill in the A#. The A# will be available on your I140 approval notice. If you did not get a copy of that you may not know what it is. But, your lawyer definitely would know what it is and should have filled it in. Did s/he?
The A# is given to every person who filed an immigration petition, whether employment or family based. This A# follows you for life where INS is concerned. Kind of like the social security #. It does not change, regardless of how many times you got a new card for a status change.
No, the I485 processing happens at Laguna Niguel for CSC. They do not move your file over to a local office. The only time they do that is if they lined you up for an interview.

Gotsc,

Normally the movement of your A-file should happen within the window of time it takes to normally process an I485 application. I think the 6 to 9 months period of movement that is being bandied about on the other SC boards is unfounded. Yes, If in future INS shortens the processing time for I485 to say a 3 month window, such a case may be delayed by a bit.But knowing INS that is not going to happen anytime soon, if ever. I know of umpteen folks who in my company who applied I140 at TSC and I485 at the SC that has jurisdiction over their place of residence. None of them had any problems related to the A-file move, not that I can recall anyway.

A# not on I140 approval notice.

Many Thanks DeeRod !!
     I will confirm with lawyer if he filled it in. Just to make sure we are talking about "Alien Registration No" here which is what A# stands for on the I485 form .
But looking at the I140 approval notice ie "Notice of action" which was sent to us, I cannot find any A# on it. We are on H1 and have filed for GC. So i am wondering if A# is assigned only to certain category of applicants. Thnaks again
....Sw28

As far as i know

It is standard operating procedure that 140 is filed at the INS jurisidication, where Company has office or/and intends to employ benificiary.
and 485 is filed under the jursisdiction where applicant stays.

Please dont spread fear among others when you have no proof of such a possibility....