Have trouble with wife...

zsyzslo

Registered Users (C)
Hi I got my GC today, but i been having troubles with my wife for the past 2 or 3 months and now she is in jail because she drinks too much. My question is this: How long do i need to be married to her after i got my GC so i don't lose my PR.?

zsyzslo said:
Hi I got my GC today, but i been having troubles with my wife for the past 2 or 3 months and now she is in jail because she drinks too much. My question is this: How long do i need to be married to her after i got my GC so i don't lose my PR.?

Your wife is your GC petitioner? If yes, three years
ftom the time your getting the GC

It all depends on what your situation is.

If you are married to a citizen...then read up about the "The Violence Against Women Act" (VAWA). VAWA is not just for women, but for men too.
This will only work if you have been abused in the relationship. To prove it, you will need a good lawyer.

You have to be with ur wife for 2 years and not 3 years. After those 2 years u have to apply with ur wife to remove the restrictions and if it is approved, then u will receive 10 years of GC.

Meanwhile if ur wife dies or u get seperated or divorced and if u can prove it, that it was not ur fault, then u restrictions of 2 years will be removed even without ur wife.

3 years might still be a good idea, because then he could apply for citizenship 2 years early (if he wants too).

Hmm, by the way, in prison because she drinks too much? What State has laws against drinking too much? :)

Explorer19 said:
You have to be with ur wife for 2 years and not 3 years. After those 2 years u have to apply with ur wife to remove the restrictions and if it is approved, then u will receive 10 years of GC.

Meanwhile if ur wife dies or u get seperated or divorced and if u can prove it, that it was not ur fault, then u restrictions of 2 years will be removed even without ur wife.

Not true. You only need to be with her for 1 sec after the GC if you can prove that you did not marry her for GC.

chinabee said:
Not true. You only need to be with her for 1 sec after the GC if you can prove that you did not marry her for GC.

And what happens when the I-751 needs to be filed by both parties?

TheRealCanadian, there are waivers, but they're hard to get.

Chinabee, good luck proving that to the USCIS. I hope you're a man of religion, because you'd probably need God himself to intervene on your behalf to get it through! :)

TheRealCanadian said:
And what happens when the I-751 needs to be filed by both parties?

chinabee said:

jiyojiyo said:
My gosh, are these peole from B(C) ages??? Ask somebody(what about left hand??) to sign it( I-751 form)!!! Will that cause problem??? contact RealCanadian? and guess what, he wll be of no help.

If you wish to commit immigration fraud, please be my guest. You will find that even after being a citizen for 50 years, fraud is grounds for denaturalization and deportation - and there is no waiver.

And I really hope that the ex-spouse is friendly, otherwise she might be the one turning you in. :D