Have H1B/H4.. should I get AP?

shadyhtown

Registered Users (C)
Hello folks.. had a question

I am on a valid H4 visa (dependent of H1B parent despite being over 21) which expires in November. I have applied for I-485, and even got EAD and AP. The AP is expired now, and I was wondering whether I should renew it since I plan to travel to India this summer.

Now, I know H1B/H4 folks don't need AP, but I want to be on the safer side. Also, if I use the H4 to come back, I would have to get it stamped in my passport (it's not stamped yet). For that I would have to go to the consulate in India and get it stamped, and I've heard it's quite a hassle, especially the long lines (like in the Chennai consulate).

So is it worth getting the AP, so I don't have to worry about stamping H4? Can you be refused stamping at the consulates for any reason? For instance, I am over 21, and not really a dependent any more. Although the H4 was filed while I was still under 21, so I'm still covered under it. But could I be prevented from coming back due to my age being over 21? Also, can I get the H4 stamped in any consulate abroad or only in my home country?

I know it's a hassle filling out the AP forms and sending all the supporting documents and waiting months for a response - not to mention the $170 fees. But is it worth it?

My suggestion is to avoid going to a consulate. It is risky and highly unpredictable.
More over you need to get an appointment online to go for visa stamp(waiting in long lines era is gone). I came to know that in chennai they are giving appoinments for July and later(long wait)

Getting AP is easy. You can follow the instructions in the sticky at the top of this forum.
The only downside with the AP is certain countries(like UK, Germany) etc require you to get transit Visa if you are travelling through their country. You can check with airlines about that(I learned that Air India through Paris does not require transit Visa)