Have Green Card, need Stamp. Or not?

Seppi

Hi,
I got my GC in the mail over the weekend. Now that I have that, I am planning to travel soon. Do I need a stamp in the passport?
I realise that getting the GC before having the stamp is a little unconventional, so should I still go and get the stamp? Do I need it?

regards,
Seppi

I thought INS will give me a stamp on my passport FIRST, then a green card. So can I travel with my passport without a stamp if I have my green card??? I am confused.

I thought you have to have your passport stamped. But, am not sure as the folks I know had gotten their stamps first and the card arrived in mail later.

Once you get the I-485 approval letter you have to go to the local BCIS office. You need to bring two pictures and your passport. You need to fill out a form and BCIS will take your finger print. Then, they will stamp your passport which will good for a year. The plastic GC will come between 1 to 12 months. I remember getting it in a month or so. Until you get the plastic card you can use the stamp to travel abroad. Hope, this helps.

my understanding is this they stamp your passport to now say that you are a LPR until you get the actual green card in your hands thats why at PP stamping they ask for two pictures thats to put on green card so if you got the green card i dont see why you need the stamp.

Oh...I thought the stamp on the passport was necessary. So when you travel abroad, you don't have to have a stamp if you have a card?