• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Has anyone won DV while living in the U.S?

bigmjn

Registered Users (C)
I am an immigrant who doesn't have Green card but a working visa in the U.S. I've kept applying for this DV program. but I've never won. I've heard if one lives in the U.S. already and one never wins. Is that true?
I know a quite many people who won DV green card and when they won, all of them lived out side the U.S. and of course they didn't have any non-immigrant visa or anything.

is it impossible to win DV green card since I am already in the U.S., holds a working visa???????

Group of people who is eligible for DV living out of the US is way way way more than those livng in the US. Thus, it's simple probability thing which groups the winners more likely belong to.
DV is for purpose to diversify ethnicity in the US. There is no logical reason to rule out those living in the US.

Last edited by a moderator:
I live in USA by 4 years and half, on transfer visa first L1B and H1B later (just to make sure the lawers finish the green card process before the visa expires. I applied to DV visa lottery 3 years in row. I am a winner of DV 2006 (I got the green card already by DV lottery). And I know more people who won, living in USA.

make sense...

thank you for your reply. yeah, you totally make sense!

GotPR? said:
Group of people who is eligible for DV living out of the US is way way way more than those livng in the US. Thus, it's simple probability thing which groups the winners more likely belong to.
DV is for purpose to diversify ethnicity in the US. There is no logical reason to rule out those living in the US.

thanks

thanks for your reply. I have applied to DV 4 years in a row but how come I never win? (just out of luck?) well i hope I would win this time!
EU5xxx said:
I live in USA by 4 years and half, on transfer visa first L1B and H1B later (just to make sure the lawers finish the green card process before the visa expires. I applied to DV visa lottery 3 years in row. I am a winner of DV 2006 (I got the green card already by DV lottery). And I know more people who won, living in USA.

bigmjn said:
thanks for your reply. I have applied to DV 4 years in a row but how come I never win? (just out of luck?) well i hope I would win this time!
I tried DV every year between 1996 and 2004, some when i was in the US, some when I was in my country. Nothing worked, and in the meantime my EB GC came to approval.
I know someone who applied for the 1st time and got won.
Good luck.

I was in the US under F1 visa ( same for boyfriend ). We both made an entry for the very first at the 2005 Lottery ( we entered our data in early November 03).
I received a NL in July 04.

I've been in US for almost 10 years. I've been working for 5 years in US. I apply for DV lottery almost every year but never got it.

Finally in 2005, I got letter from KCC that my name was randomly selected for DV lottery 2006. Praise God, what a surprise!! I was selected for fiscal 2006.
So, it's possible to win the DV lottery while you are in US. I'm on H-1 now, I'm about to adjust my status here in US.

congratulations!

Esusanto77, congratulations!
What is KCC?
How did the envelop you received look like???
(I get many direct mails so I hope i dont miss that one!)

esusanto77 said:
I've been in US for almost 10 years. I've been working for 5 years in US. I apply for DV lottery almost every year but never got it.

Finally in 2005, I got letter from KCC that my name was randomly selected for DV lottery 2006. Praise God, what a surprise!! I was selected for fiscal 2006.
So, it's possible to win the DV lottery while you are in US. I'm on H-1 now, I'm about to adjust my status here in US.

KCC will be very important to you if you happen to receive the 1st NL.
That's where your supposed to send back all your forms if you choose to go for CP or only a couple if AOS.

I don't think you can miss that enveloppe.
I always shred credit card offers through the mail ( it is actually funny to see that '0% APR' show through the enveloppe ) without opening them.
But you can't miss that enveloppe : it's a large enveloppe so that the paperwork is not folded and it looks official.

Also, the letters are supposed to be sent at a given time during the year ( usually april to july ). When KCC starts to send NLs, it is written in the visa bulletin.