Has anyone had to show their PR card except at POE?

wik

Registered Users (C)
Just curious...

I keep a photocopy of my Green Card in my wallet at all times in case my wallet gets stolen, I still have the card in a safe at home. Most people I know do this. My lawyer said it's OK (though not STRICTLY within the letter of the USCIS regulation) - she said as long as they can see your A# and look it up, it would be fine. (Of course, I take the card when traveling beyond the borders).

Has anyone ever been asked by officials/authorities to show their actual card NOT at a POE? Where and under what circumstances? I sometimes carry the card if I am traveling to San Diego on business as I hear they can carry out random checks in the airport or on the freeways leading away from San Diego... anyone with that experience?

We were once stopped at the checkpoint coming from San Diego on 405 freeway. We had just gotten our green card at that time. We were asked if we were citizens. After we said that we are permanents residents, they asked us to show our green cards. Fortunately we had them with us and showed them. We were let go after that with no problem.