Had My Interview Today

kevinglenn

Registered Users (C)
Okay so I went for the interview today...deja vu for the most part...the same old story...went over-prepared....Real interview was over-hyped... The interview was so easy I was getting suspicious...actually I'm still getting suspicious.

We went to Memphis(from Nashville) the day before and checked into uhm...an Inn(for lack of a more derogatory term) right next to the uscis office...the Inn was crappy as hell...there was actually a guy walking around upstairs with a hunting rifle :eek:

Anyways...moving on....

We went there at 9:00(our interview was scheduled for 9:30) and sat in the parking lot for a while...besides our dog had to pee...

So we went in at 9:20 and they asked the lady in front of us to leave her phone in the car so we did likewise...came back...went through...We weren't checked or anything just asked to empty our pockets. The interview room wasn't that crowded....I was really surprised we got called in at 9:45...that was a 15 minute delay but I was expecting worse...

Before that, a couple of folks had been called in by pretty mean-looking ladies...

Our interviewer was a man probably in his late thirties or early forties....pretty friendly and didn't seem to take himself too seriously....which is always a good thing.

We got in...were asked not to sit down(in a friendly manner)...sworn in and asked to sit....he then started asking questions...first he asked about my arrest and he remarked that he would have done the same thing if he were in my shoes...I told him I had the police affidavit and court dispositions..he took 'em and said "good". Next he asked us how we met...we both answered simultaneously...and then my wife took over from there...going into the when, how, where blah blah blah....then he asked me proof that we lived together...I gave him our leases, joint account statement...family-plan bill, car registrations....and then he said that was enough....then he asked to be excused..and he went and made some photocopies....he came back and started explaining the difference between the conditional and the actual green card and he gave us an official document which said he'd explained how to remove the conditions...he then told us the green card would be arriving in two weeks.

Actually I skipped a step...when we first sat...he asked for my passport and my wife's driving license.

..and oh, he also took my I-94....he didn't take my EAD though....he said I could throw it away when I got the green card...I then asked him if I'd get a welcome letter and he said it would come with the green card....I wanted to ask about stamping my passport but I didn't want to push my luck...I wanted to get out before he changed his mind :D

My wife made a comment to the effect that we'd been too over-prepared and he gave us the better-over-prepared-than-under-prepared line.

Our interviewer was just fabulous, friendly and professional...no prying questions or suspicious demeanor....

The rest was chithat about the deplorable state of the Titans...Pacman and Hainesworth...and Vince Young.

What I'm worried about is..he never asked for the paychecks...and or Employment letter......he only asked me if I worked...to which I replied in the affirmative...

He never asked for pictures either..but I know that's not uncommon.

So we went back to the Inn(I refuse to call it a hotel)...and checked out even though we'd planned on staying till Friday....I was so happy I couldn't wait to get outta that "Hole-in-the-wall boulevard of broken dreams"

We just came back and there's been no update online....I guess I'm probably tripping....Oh well...all's well that ends well.

Actually the post-interview hysteria lasted for only about an hour...kinda like an anti-climax...u know one of those things u yearn for and get...only to find out u feel pretty much the same?

If I'm getting too philosophical...it's probably due to the grey goose...yes sir, I'm getting wasted...and NOT driving. :cool:

Nothing but love for this forum and everybody...Just-counting, I hope u get ur interview letter pretty soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks...I'll actually start celebrating when I get the actual green Card. U know how long it normally takes on average?

I'm not a good person to ask. I was told "You'll get your greencard in 2 weeks" and its now been 36 days since my interview and I've heard nothing.

Still my case is not typical, most people do seem to actually get their green cards in 2 weeks. Good luck!

That's good your interview went so smoothly, I hope whenever the time comes for me to have one with them that it goes the same. I was wondering were you down there as a visitor or did you have a visa??? Just wanted to know because we'll be applying for the same thing in a couple months but I'm just down here as a visitor.

Congratulations!

Congrats!!

I applied about 45 days ago and have the same DO. Hopefully, will have a similar experience sometime in the near future...

McPheever said:
That's good your interview went so smoothly, I hope whenever the time comes for me to have one with them that it goes the same. I was wondering were you down there as a visitor or did you have a visa??? Just wanted to know because we'll be applying for the same thing in a couple months but I'm just down here as a visitor.

I had an F-1 visa(student) in my previous life :rolleyes:

I understand once u apply, u're in a different category though....u're in the process of adjusting status which is somewhere between ur old status and ur future status...

I guess what visa u were previously on might be taken into consideration by some adjudicating Officers...it really depends on each individual case...for example...if someone came on an F-1, married and submitted an application within sixty days of arrival that might raise a red flag.

The main purpose of the interview is to find out if ur marriage is bonafide and wasn't entered into for the purpose of securing immigration benefits...

I've seen(heard of) a lot of folks who entered as visitors get approved. It's pretty much normal. U'll be alright...

imhopeful said:
Congrats!!

I applied about 45 days ago and have the same DO. Hopefully, will have a similar experience sometime in the near future...

Good luck...I've heard a lot of good things outta the Memphis DO with a few horrible ones. I think it's getting better and better. The only negative thing is the waiting period from application to the actual interview.

I hope u have a similar or better experience...

dr_lha said:
I'm not a good person to ask. I was told "You'll get your greencard in 2 weeks" and its now been 36 days since my interview and I've heard nothing.

Still my case is not typical, most people do seem to actually get their green cards in 2 weeks. Good luck!

Have u gotten any online updates after the interview?

kevinglenn said:
Have u gotten any online updates after the interview?
Yeah, I got one on the 11th November, the same day that a lot of people did it would seem. No actual emails/letters or other changes though, just a "Last Updated" change.

Kevin... I approve your case....

Hi Kevin,

Congratulations on your new found status.... As I said, your evidence was strong and I am glad the experience was positive.

With the Inn... better know where you are sleeping before getting there...

Congrats... wait till you get the actual card to go wild on you celebration...

Ciao...