had canadian PR, lost it, apply again?

CyrusD

Registered Users (C)
i had applied for immigration to canada in 2000. application was approved, landed in windsor late 2000, stayed for a day, applied for SIN, nothing else, came back to u.s.

did not pay any canadian taxes, did not return to apply for the new p.r. card. haven't been in canada in over three years.

the reason was that i had a good job in the u.s., and wouldn't even get a reply from any of the canadian companies i had tried to apply to for employment. other reason was that my u.s. green card process was under way.

my u.s. green card process is still under way....

no end in sight...

without going into details, i am just not confident about the u.s. GC process any more, especially in this post 9/11 world.

lately, i have been regretting my decision of giving up on canada so easily. i am pretty sure my previous canadian p.r. status is dead in the water. nor do i want to resort to any "creative" means to resurrect my old canadain p.r.

friends, i am thinking of applying for canadian p.r. again. i am confident that i am professionally more qualified now than i was when i first applied, with the employment history of a u.s. multinational under my belt.

i cannot help wonder whether the "had it once, then gave it up, now want it again" factor will be deterimental to any new applicaton i might file. i am seriously considering filing again, and i do not want to mis-state anything on my application. if i am lucky enough to get it again, this time, i will go to canada for good. i don't want to waste any more of my life in immigration limbo.

any experiences, comments, advice anyone would care to share?

thanks Ray S.

for your reply. in hindsight, i should have applied for the PR card. but i guess it is too late now. which is why i thought about starting from scratch again.

anybody with similar experience? i.e. applying again after having been a canadian p.r. in a previous life:) ?

CyrusD

Hi Cyrus,
Why dont you try getting a temp travel doc from the Canadian consulate here so that you can go to Canada and get a Perm Resident Card. I am not suggesting you lie but infact tell them the truth and there might still be a chance they may issue it. In the worst case scenario they will tell you no, but even if there is a 20% chance of you getting one its better than to go through the whole process again. I am sure the cost/time is longer now then when you first applied.
Regards

Last edited by a moderator:
CyrusD

Hi Cyrus,
Why dont you try getting a temp travel doc from the Canadian consulate here so that you can go to Canada and get a Perm Resident Card. I am not suggesting you lie but infact tell them the truth and there might still be a chance they may issue it. In the worst case scenario they will tell you no, but even if there is a 20% chance of you getting one its better than to go through the whole process again. I am sure the cost/time is longer now then when you first applied.
Regards

Last edited by a moderator:
IMM 1000 is still valid when you travel by private vehicle. I believe that should be the best way to get into Canada. I don't know whether that can help to prove your residency though.

Mayank

imho

Try contacting a good cdn imm law firm (not an imm. consultant!); they might or might not charge you for initial consultation but at least they will tell you upfront if your previous pr is salvageable ...