H4 visa stamping for my wife

Sanjeev12345

Hello all,
I got married recently and due to my limitated vacation period, I had to return US without processing her visa application. I am on H1B right now and I need to get her visa stamped at US embassy in my home country.

Now I need to send documents to my wife for her visa process. One thing I am scared is to send ORIGINAL I-797 FORM (H1B approval notice). I asked a couple of friends and read some web sites. Some of them say notarized copy of I-797 is okay when she goes for the interview. Is that true? Can somebody answer this question as soon as possible. I would really appriciate. Thank you.

Sanjeev

A Xerox copy of I-797 will work. My wife got her H-4 with Xerox copy of my H-1 approval. They have all the records, they can verify it if they wish.

Sanjeev12345 said:
Hello all,
I got married recently and due to my limitated vacation period, I had to return US without processing her visa application. I am on H1B right now and I need to get her visa stamped at US embassy in my home country.

Now I need to send documents to my wife for her visa process. One thing I am scared is to send ORIGINAL I-797 FORM (H1B approval notice). I asked a couple of friends and read some web sites. Some of them say notarized copy of I-797 is okay when she goes for the interview. Is that true? Can somebody answer this question as soon as possible. I would really appriciate. Thank you.

Sanjeev

Depends on where you are going...

I read on Calcutta's US Consulate page that they need 'original or notarized copy of I 797'. But in Chennai's website they just asked for copy of I-797. So, I would say check with the consular website where you are going to apply for H4 stamping. In any case, sending original through mail is not a good idea.

regards,
Rajesh K

My attorneys told me that it is better to carry the original H1. Don't want to send the original, but they strongly recommended and I am sending it.

Recomended to send original 797. I just got married and wife due for interview in March. I left my original 797 when I was there for the wedding. I re-entered using a copy, the immigration officer at airport made a fuss but then he let me in with advice that in future i should carry original...