H4 Visa - now or later after arriving in the US?

vrkd

Registered Users (C)
I just got my H1B stamped at Chennai- this is my first Visa and the first time I am travelling to the US. Now, I want to get H4 stamped for my wife.

I got some conflicting suggestions for this- some suggest to get the H4 stamped now itself before I go the US. Others are saying that in the present scenario, it is better for me to first come to US, get my first Pay stub and with that evidence file for H4 for my wife.

Which is the better option? Any experiences of either kind would be most helpful. Kindly share your opinions and/or experiences.I dont want to get stuck in "Adiminstrative Processing" which seems to be common these days at Chennai Consulate.

Thanks
vrkd

vrkd,
As part of the "supporting documentation" for H4, they may ask for recent paystubs and bank statements (if available). Although not 100% required, these docs strengthen your case. It may not be too bad to wait till you get here on the job and can provide the 1 or 2 paystubs, if you can afford to wait.

I wanted to ask you about your H1 stamping experience in Chennai, if you can pls share. In particular, how long did the entire process take? did you use drop box or consular interview?
If interview, did they ask you to prove non-immigrant intent?

Thanks in advance.

No...

Why did you not get the h4 while getting your H1? if you have a valid reason, then it is not necessary to get a paystub to get the H4.
Another thumb rule is: if it is less than a month from you getting h1 then you can apply for h4.

If you have further questions, first answer my first question...

Dear Jaxen
Thanks for the reply.
I was adviced by Visa consultants here in Bangalore not to apply together for H1 and H4 since it may send a wrong signal that I am a prospective immigrant.
Even now they are telling me to come to the US and then after getting first paystub, I-94 and bank statements apply for H4 to make it a water tight case.
Pls let me know what you think? Should I apply for H4 now itself or wait till I get to the US? That would mean that it would be more than 1 month after my h1 stamping? Is this bad or dangerous?
Pls reply asap
Thanks
vrkd

H visa holders need not prove non immigration intent. You can always try H4, unless your company's previous H4 applications were rejected. I dont see any issue. Your call.