H4 visa document requirement in US Embassy at Delhi

vausa

Registered Users (C)
My wife has her passport issued in the maiden name. Is it still required to have the spouse name endorsed in her passport when applying for H4 visa even though we have a valid marriage certificate? I am getting conflicting information about the requirement of having the name endorsed. Can somebody share there experiences in Delhi embassy.
Thanks

Yes,

It is important to get your name endorsed on her passport. We had the same problem and Delhi consulate sent us back and asked me to get her name endorsed on my passport and my name endorsed on hers.

Hi

Hi Raju678
Thanks for your reply. I am already in US on valid H1-visa stamp, so I guess I won't need to get her name endorsed.
Can you tell when did your wife apply for her H4-visa. This would give me an idea on the time frame because the Delhi consulate website says that it is not mandatory to have the name endorsed.
Also, how long does it take to get the name endorsed in the passport. My wife's current passport is issued from Delhi. Does the passport office issues a new passport or just update the exisiting passport.
Appreciate the help.
Thanks

I applied for my wife's H4 in May 2003. Passport office in India will endorse your name on her passport in a day. She just has to go there. I got her name on my passport from NYC. I went to NYC and it took me a day to get it done.

Thanks

Thanks for your reply.
What documents does she need to take to the passport office to get the name endorsed. She called the passport office in Delhi ( thats where her passport was issued) and they told her that it would take her 6-7 days to get it done and they will issue a new passport. What passport office did you wife go to. Did she go through an agent.

Thanks

We just took the marriage certificate, wedding pictures and a copy of my passport. They certified on one page of her passport that the spouse name should read my name. Its not a correction to the passport just an addition