H4 to TN-1 - Possible? PLEASE ADVICE !!

bhalochele1947

Registered Users (C)
Very Useful Forum.
First of all I want to thank you all who actively contribute to this community.

Here is our situation....

My wife is on an H-4 visa which is valid until October 2009. She got so tired of sitting at home therefore she completed a 3 years bachelors in General studies from Athabasca university, Alberta. After that she also completed a 2 years Associate degree in Computer System Analysis in a US Community college. I could not afford to enroll her in a regular US University due to the high international fees. Even though she was born and brought up in India, she holds a Canadian passport due to naturalization.

Recently, she got an offer in the TN computer system analyst category. The only experience she has - is a 1-1/2 years internship as a web developer in the Computer department in The Canadian National Defense. This has an experience letter from a army Major (her immediate supervisor).

Guys, do you think it would be enough to get a TN in the CSA category? We are pretty apprehensive. Before we approach a lawyer, I thought I would come to this forum. We really want to be totally sure before we head to the border. Right now, I am in an H1-B visa and my wife is staying with me on an H4.

Your response would be greatly appreciated.

It's a stretxh since she needs more experience with her diploma, and her bach degree is meaningless. But she has nothing to lose in persuing this. Her H-4 is unaffected.

Nelson,

Thanks for your prompt reply.

Do you think a bachelors degree in General studies with concentration in computer science (minor) will help? Please advice?

The fact that her bach is in general studies -- whatever that is -- is of little value in meeting TN requirement. The courses she took might help however.

I don't think Athabaska offers 'minors', so I doubt that it is even listed as such on her transcript.

Like I said, this is a stretch. See a good TN lawyer to see if s/he can craft a viable petition, tying her course load to her job duties.

Thanks again, Nelson. You are really a great help to this forum. I hope you keep on responding to postings after you get your GC.

About my wife's TN:

Yes, you are correct. They donot offer CS minors in Athabasca. I just now checked it.

The other option is to finish a few additional courses from Athabasca in order to get a 2nd degree in Information Systems. Probably, this can be completed in 1-2 semester after transferring the existing courses. What we like about Athabasca is that it is a recognized Canadian university and you can complete the required courses online in order to be eligible for the TN. The prices are also very reasonable.

and you can complete the required courses online in order to be eligible for the TN
Indeed, it is too bad that your wife did not choose a more direct path to a useful degree, rather than "general studies".

I would not waste time getting more course until I had determined whether I could get a TN now however.