H4 to J1 status conversion - Visa Stamping - Urgent advice sought

sujitm

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

I am currently on H4 visa and need to convert my visa status to J1 so that I can start my medical residency training on 1st July, 2006. I have sent the documents to ECFMG and waiting for the DS2019 document. Since I don't have too much time left I seek your suggestion as to how to get the visa stamping done upon receipt of DS2019. Should I change the status from (1) within USA or (2) Go to my home country, India, with the risk of being declined visa change, or (3) Go to Canada or Mexico to get the stamping done with the same risk of being denied change of status. Though option one seems to be the safest bet I am worried whether I will get the J1 visa by July 1. For option 3 I am not sure whether I can get the J1 stamping done for the first time from Canada or Mexico. Your insight will be highly appreciated.

Thanks
SS

H4 to J1 visa conversion--plz plz plz help

I am in the same boat. Please please tell me what you are planning to do then? I have taken a date in Ottawa for the time being but not very sure. DO they do back ground checks? Have u decided on your issue. You can even call me if you want or email. Please reply.
Anyone who has been through it, please reply too.
Thanks a lot.